2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Engine Removal ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:41 AM
durango99dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Removal ?'s

I have a 2004 Dodge Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi. Are there any tricks to getting this engine out without having to pull the trans w/ it? What is the easiest way to go about removing and installing a new engine for this truck. I have already purchased the newer engine with 36,000mi, and I'm waiting for the weather to break a little to start this nice little project, ever since I blew a connecting rod out of the oil pan on this past Thanksgiving Day night, going Black Friday shopping. Don't ask me how, because I'd tell you I have no idea how or even why it happened. The current engine only had 93,000mi on it, and I haven't heard of the Hemi having any kind of problems like that happening just all of a sudden. I'm just lucky it blew out the oil pan instead of blowing out of the top and through the hood. Thank God! But if you have any knowledge of an engine removal, I would be forever in your debt. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-18-2017, 08:28 PM
SneakyB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to bump an old thread like this, but, I have the same question. I have a low miles 2006 Limited Edition 5.7 Hemi as well... Seems it burned up the main rod bearings.
Since I am going to replace them all... I am going to rebuild the entire engine. New pistons, rods, seals, bearings... the works...
It doesn't seem that there is a way to pull the engine without having to pull the tranny as well. Unless you here know of another way? I can probably do it if I pull the heads and intake/throttle body, but, seems like an awful lot of hard work just to reach a couple of bolts at the top of the tranny...

Anyone???

Quick Reply: Engine Removal ?'s