2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Horn Blowing by itself

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:08 PM
sabre1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn Blowing by itself

2004 Dodge Durango SLT 5.7l hemi. 4wd
The other morning my wife woke me telling me that she heard a car horn. I got out of bed and then heard it myself. I went to the door where I have three vehicles parked about 20 feet in front of my house. I didn't hear it again and noone was out there. The next morning I was home alone and the only vehicles there were my truck and the 2004 durango. I heard a horn blow again and went out to check and it did it again in about 5 mins. A little later it blew for about 30 seconds and stopped then a few short blasts over a period of time then long ones again. I started the vehicle and sat there and it didn't make a sound I could blow the horn by pressing the steering wheel and by pressing the lock buttons and the panic button. I drove it to town and it didn't do it but while in the bank I left it running with my teens in the car and it blew 2 short times in a ten minute period. Then it blew for about a minute( they were embarrassed to say the least) so driving home it blew a couple of short blasts. I parked it and it would do it on it's own again shorts longs then I went out and pulled the relay to shut it up and prevent lossing it to a fire caused by it sticking. I think that if it were a short in a wire it would stick and just continue to blow not alternate like that. Anyone else have this issue? Or maybe someone knows what the heck I can do to make it stop.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:30 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2004 is plagued with problems and recalls. Call your dealer to see if any pertain to your VIN. One is for the instrument cluster and it is a fire hazard. Pack a lunch for further reading on the recalls at www.safercar.gov :

Make: DODGE Model: DURANGO
Model Year: 2004
Manufacturer: SABERSPORT Report Receipt Date: APR 07, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09E012000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING

Summary:
SABERSPORT IS RECALLING 16,270 COMBINATION CORNER AND BUMPER LAMP ASSEMBLIES OF VARIOUS PART NUMBERS SOLD FOR USE AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT FOR VARIOUS PASSENGER VEHICLES. THESE HEADLAMPS FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, "LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT." THESE LAMPS DO NOT CONTAIN THE REQUIRED AMBER SIDE REFLECTORS.
Consequence:
DECREASED LIGHTING VISIBILITY MAY RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.
Remedy:
SABERSPORT WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND OFFER A FULL REFUND FOR THE NONCOMPLIANT COMBINATION LAMPS. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON MAY 11, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT SABERSPORT AT 1-909-598-7589.
Notes:
THIS RECALL ONLY PERTAINS TO AFTERMARKET REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT AND HAS NO RELATION TO ANY ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT INSTALLED ON VEHICLES PRODUCED BY THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER. IN ORDER TO DETERMINE IF YOUR AFTERMARKET LAMP ASSEMBLY IS AFFECTED BY THIS NONCOMPLIANCE, PLEASE REVIEW THE LIST OF MODEL NUMBERS PROVIDED TO US BY SABERSPORT. THE LIST CAN BE FOUND UNDER "DOCUMENT SEARCH" LOCATED AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR SCREEN. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Check to Request Research. Submit below.
Manufacturer: DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION Report Receipt Date: MAR 09, 2007
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 07V092000 NHTSA Action Number: EA06015
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: INSTRUMENT PANEL

Summary:
ON SOME SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, UNDER CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS, AN INTEGRATED CIRCUIT IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER THAT CONTROLS INTERIOR LIGHTING MAY OVERHEAT.
Consequence:
THIS COULD POTENTIALLY CAUSE AN INSTRUMENT PANEL FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE CLUSTER FOR DAMAGE AND REPLACE IT FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 2, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-140.
Notes:
DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECALL NO. G07. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Manufacturer: DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION Report Receipt Date: DEC 08, 2004
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 04V578000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:BATTERY:CABLES
Potential Number of Units Affected: 71,763
Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES BUILT WITH A 5.7L, 4.7L, OR 3.7L ENGINE, THE POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE MAY CONTACT THE FRONT SUSPENSION UPPER CONTROL ARM MOUNTING BRACKET.
Consequence:
THIS CONTACT COULD ABRADE THE CABLE AND CAUSE A SHORT CIRCUIT, WHICH MAY RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE BATTERY CABLE AND, IF NECESSARY, REPOSITION IT AWAY FROM THE CONTROL ARM MOUNTING BRACKET. THE RECALL BEGAN DECEMBER 14, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
Notes:
DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECALL NO. D40. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Manufacturer: DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION Report Receipt Date: JAN 14, 2004
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 04V020000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:CABLES
Potential Number of Units Affected: 21,053
Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 3.7L AND 4.7L ENGINES, THE THROTTLE CONTROL CABLE MAY INGEST WATER AND FREEZE DURING EXTENDED COLD TEMPERATURE.
Consequence:
THIS COULD CAUSE THE THROTTLE TO STICK IN THE OPEN POSITION AND RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE THROTTLE CONTROL CABLE. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON JANUARY 19, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
Notes:
DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECALL NO. D02. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Manufacturer: DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION Report Receipt Date: DEC 12, 2003
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 03V528000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRING:INTERIOR/UNDER DASH
Potential Number of Units Affected: 27,586
Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AN INSTRUMENT CLUSTER CIRCUIT BOARD CAPACITOR MAY OVERHEAT.
Consequence:
THIS COULD POTENTIALLY RESULT IN AN INSTRUMENT PANEL FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REMOVE THE CAPACITOR FROM THE CIRCUIT BOARD. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON DECEMBER 17, 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-992-1997.
Notes:
DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECALL NO. C43. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Old 11-08-2012, 03:58 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sabre,

Sorry to hear of your current concerns. Have you noticed any other electrical components that are not working properly?

If you want to see if there are any incomplete recalls on the vehicle that may be related to the problem you can contact your local Dodge dealer, PM me your VIN# or visit:
www.dodge.ca
Select “Vehicle Brand”
Select “Owners” in the upper right hand corner
Select “Vehicle Recall Inquiry”
Select a brand and “View …Recall Notices”
Select “Get Recall Information”
Enter last 8 characters of the vehicle identification number (VIN) in the
space provide and Select “GO”.
It will list the vehicle with the complete VIN, a verbal description of the vehicle and recall, if any apply.

If there are no recalls related, I would suggest getting the vehicle diagnosed by a Dodge dealer. They have the most up to date diagnostic equipment to work specifically on Dodge vehicles.

PM me if there is any other assistance or inquiries you have.

Quick Reply: Horn Blowing by itself