2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

WATER in ECU's - where to check and what ecu to look for???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 07:47 PM
Ogoiosaur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WATER in ECU's - where to check and what ecu to look for???

***Please help me determine which ECU may have gotten water in it?
- to simplify folks reading this "whole story", my question is only - what and where, are the ECU's (under hood) the Durango 2nd GEN, which could be prone to water intrusion from rain or standing water on road:

Full story:
Earlier this week I reported being towed into a dealer after my Durango would not start.
Some things I forgot to say:
- the alarm system (repeated horn honks) sound prior no start.
- panic was not accidentally pressed
- key fob buttons do NOT work to kill the alarm
- starting the car kills the alarm
- car will not start (cranks only) thereafter
- the car is towed after disconnecting and reconnecting battery does not work
- mechanic at dealer says possibly a SKIM module went bad but needs to examine the car.

Update today:
- Dealer was UNABLE to verify any complaint (after two days).
- Keep in mind the dealer is busy and they look at it here & there.

I was called to come pick up the auto; report - NO Faults Found.

I take the keys:
A TON of problems (I never saw beyond no start) ensue...

First off, upon getting the keys handed to me by the service writer, and "starting her up"... the engine dies after two seconds; never see that unless a bad key is inserted I'm thinking.

I restart the car - success!!!
Next, I notice a BUNCH of dash lights (idiot lights) stay on including a solid DOT - alarm light.

Then, I find the shift lever is locked in PARK.

I immediately get out of the car and contact the service advisor and he alerts his mechanic (who is busy under hood of a car).

The mechanic (still working on another car yells out): "Nothing I can do; if I could get a SKIM module I could fix his issues".

The service advisor (instead) has an express (lube & oil) tech come out who:
- He is not a mechanic (he states)
- he disconnects the battery
- five minutes later returns
- connects the battery
- the car starts and goes into gear!

Yay I am thinking - problem solved and I will be on my way....NOT SO.
- why I did not return right back to the dealer (about to close) is another story.

I start driving and I notice the wipers will not work; As I get further from the dealer, it appears the turn signals will not flash as I see no indicator on the dash "blinking"; a small "blip" is all I see upon signal request.

A bunch of idiot lights are randomly illuminating now;
- randomly lights on the dash are coming up (such as the ABS warning, brake lights, temp warning, oil light, battery warning...)
- I decide to take a cell phone video of wonky dash display.

- This is a major safety issue (and me driving) I am thinking.
- HOW COULD THE DEALER MECHANIC NOT SEE THESE THIS over a two day period of testing??
- I am not charged for diagnosis with no faults found those two days...

As I proceed...all the dash warning lights go "out", the turns signals work (as needed)!
- The check engine light is illuminated (only) along with a red circle (DOT) flashing continuously.

Everything seems ok...but the electrical Gremlins return:

Suddenly, the gauge needle pointers on the speedo & RPM drop out; they go from reading speed & rpm to zero; then they come back up...only to drop out again a few seconds later; the process repeats.
I see other gauges stay constant:
- Fuel gauge works
Others do not work:
- Temp stays at COLD and does not move or work.
- Overhead console display keeps changing (normally displays one reading outside temp or fuel gallons left, etc).

The engine runs as normal (stays running).
Headlights work
- no turn signals again as they and pretty much every other load has dropped out again, except for headlights and brake lights work.
- Dash warning lights are randomly illuminating again.

Lastly, I finally get home.
I am unable to turn the car off!!
- The key is even taken out of the ignition...and the engine remains running.
- The engine seems to strain when the ignition is turned off though but stays running.

Since the car will not turn off, I call a shop who suggests to remove the battery negative.

I did this and after 30 seconds or while removing the positive, the engine finally quits.

THINGS TO NOTE:
I remember around October we saw a lot of rain on the roads and in one particular area we came upon a poorly illuminated dark bridge crossing where standing water was encountered in one corner the bridge. We cross with freeway traffic as normal (45 MpH).

The 6" of standing water present splashes high up making the sound like it drenches the undercarriage & fenders (for about 3 seconds).
I recall within a few minutes "many" dash lights suddenly illuminate and and the gauges "reset" themselves in unison from (working) to zero and back.

I see this once more that evening and never again.
Seattle sees a lot of rain.

My thoughts are WATER must have gotten into an important ECU.

Which ones/where?
-does anyone have any suggestions as to which connectors and where to look for the culprit???

Thanks; all Best

Last edited by Ogoiosaur; 12-30-2015 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: WATER in ECU's - where to check and what ecu to look for???