overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 09:03 PM
Seanofdead
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation overheating issue

Hello all,
I am having issues with overheating.
My vehicle is : 2006 Dodge Durango 4.7L V8 4WD.

I was told my overheating was caused from the water pump which was leaking, the thermostat had went out, and the upper and lower radiator hoses where cracking. So I went ahead and replaced all myself.
I purchased water pump from oreilly (Autozone did not carry one at the time):
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ord=water+pump

I bought a fail safe thermostat from autzone along with hoses:
http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heat...?checkfit=true

After replacing all parts and putting everything back together I filled up radiator with coolant and then added some to the reserve container. Let the engine run with rad cap on for 10 mins or so until temp was about half. Then I turned off let it cool down and top off both reserve and rad with coolant. I thought I was all done after this. (Did I miss a step or something?)

I then drove my Durango for a couple of hours thinking the problem was solved, the temp was fine on all 55mph and below roads.Sitting at or below the halfway mark on temp gauge. Once I hit the freeway at 70mph+ the temp rose above the halfway mark on the temp gauge. Not sure what the cause is now or if I did something wrong?

Firestone suggested it might be the thermostat. But I just replaced it?
Any help is much appreciated!

Old 08-24-2016, 01:00 AM
2001 Ram
Amateur

I would suggest another thermostat. I personally have had bad thermostats from Autozone before. Could try bleeding the sytem of air in case there is air bubbles in the system, but sounds like you did the job right.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:11 AM
Seanofdead

Originally Posted by 2001 Ram
I would suggest another thermostat. I personally have had bad thermostats from Autozone before. Could try bleeding the sytem of air in case there is air bubbles in the system, but sounds like you did the job right.
Alright any suggestions on where to buy thermostat then? Also how would I bleed the system? Is it like the brakes where there is a bleeder valve?

Appreciate the response!

Old 08-24-2016, 01:23 AM
2001 Ram
Amateur

I would go with Napa or Carquest..which everr is near your area, or a dodge Thermostat. To bleed the coolant of air...while the truck is COLD!...remove radiator cap, turn on truck with heater on...sounds weird in the summer but air can be trapped in the heater core...run about 5-10 min and shine a light in the radiator and see if you observe air bubbles coming to the surface...continue till thermostat opens and you see the coolant "swirl"...after about 5 mins all water should be circulated..top off any coolant and replace cap.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:31 AM
Seanofdead

Originally Posted by 2001 Ram
I would go with Napa or Carquest..which everr is near your area, or a dodge Thermostat. To bleed the coolant of air...while the truck is COLD!...remove radiator cap, turn on truck with heater on...sounds weird in the summer but air can be trapped in the heater core...run about 5-10 min and shine a light in the radiator and see if you observe air bubbles coming to the surface...continue till thermostat opens and you see the coolant "swirl"...after about 5 mins all water should be circulated..top off any coolant and replace cap.
Awesome! thanks for all of the help.
just curious though when I go to bleed. Once the thermostat opens that means the coolant will be hot enough but since coolant expands when it's hot won't it start to flow out of the radiator cap since it is open?

Old 08-24-2016, 01:42 AM
2001 Ram
Amateur

it should flow into the reservoir tank..just be careful of steam..also be sure to match the vehicle specified temperature thermostat when replacing and clean surface before bolting back up....let me know...we will solve it

Old 10-01-2016, 10:03 AM
pgtek
Professional
Default same issue

hi
mine was the same problem
i had the thermostat, water pump replace and still overheated
i bleed the system from the plug from the radiator hose housing that has a allen key slot
and still overheated
i check the radiator with a light and the fins where full of debris and no light shinning thru
replace the rad and voila if fine now

Quick Reply: overheating issue