2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

RESETTING THE TIMING

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:08 PM
JARED 101
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RESETTING THE TIMING

[:@] I HAVE A 99 INTREPID WITH A 2.7 LITER.

I HAVE REPLACED THE WATERPUMP AND PRIMARY TIMING CHAIN. I HAVE TRIED FOUR TIMES TO SET THE TIMING RIGHT. I HAVE ALL THE MARKS AND COLORED LINKS LINED UPTO THEIR PROPER MARKS TO NO AVAIL. HOW CAN I START OVER FROM SCRATCH ON SETTING THE TIMING. I COULD USE SOME HELP IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS THANKS!

Old 08-13-2007, 12:24 PM
yellowjacket99
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RESETTING THE TIMING

How do you know the timing is off if all the marks are lined up? Did anything get rotated after you removed the old chain, but before you got the new one put on?

Old 08-13-2007, 07:52 PM
JARED 101

WHEN I REMOVED THE CAM GEAR THE CAM SHAFTS ROTATED DUE TO THE PRESSURE FROM THE VALVE SPRINGS. SO SOMEWHERE IN THE SEVERAL ATTEMPTS TO SET THE TIMING SOMETHING MOVED OUT OF SINK. AS FAR AS I KNOW THE CRANK GEAR IS PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD BECAUSE THAT GEAR WAS NEVER REMOVED. THE CAM GEARS WERE REMOVED TO TAKE OFF THE OLD CHAIN. THE CAR RAN FINE OTHER THAN A BAD WATERPUMP PRIOR TO CHAIN REMOVAL. MY PROBLEM IS IN THE CAM ALIGHNMENT THERE HAS TO BE A STARTING POINT ON THOSE TO START OVER. IF NOT WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU JUMP TIME OR LOSE A CHAIN?

Old 08-14-2007, 09:45 AM
yellowjacket99
Professional

I remember what you mean, how the camshafts rotate like a 1/4 turn. Do you have a manual that you're going by or anything? The ones I read talk about letting the cam gears "float" on the shaft, but mine were so tight they wouldn't do that. Here's what I did:
5) Place left side primary chain sprocket onto the
chain so that the timing mark is located in-between
the two (plated) timing links (Fig. 120).
(6) Lower the primary chain with left side sprocket
through the left cylinder head opening.
Now you want to line up the colored link on the chain with the mark on the oil pump. Make sure the chain is around the water pump sprocket and take the other cam sprocket and put it in the chain, lining up the mark on the sprocket with the colored link. Right now you should have all the timing marks lined up with all the sprockets and colored links on the chain. I don't remember exactly how I did this part, but both camshafts rotated slightly clockwise when you first took off the old chain. With all the marks lined up, you need to slightly rotate one cam at a time back to where it was, lining up the bolt holes in the cam sprocket with the cam, and bolt it in place. The only thing I can really remember about this part is I had a breaker bar holding the cam in position and used a socket with my other hand to bolt it in place. I don't remember if I rotated the cam slightly counter-clockwise to line up the holes, or if I rotated it clockwise to get it back to the original position. I know I've read that you don't want to rotate the crank counter-clockwise, but not sure on the cams.I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but hopefully this will get you going enough in the right direction that you might be able to figure out what works for you. Maybe someone else will chime in too and give you more info.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:54 PM
JARED 101

THANK YOU FOR GETTING BACK WITH ME. I AM USING A HAYNES MANUAL. IT SEEMS TO BE PRETTY GOOD FOR THE MOST PART. I HAVE DONE WHAT YOU HAVE SUGGESTED BUT SOMEWHERE IN ALL THE JOCKYING ONE OR BOTH OF MY CAMS GOT OUT OF SINK. NOW MY BOOK DOES SAY THAT WHEN REINSTALLING THE CAM SHAFT (WHICH I HAVEN'T REMOVED) TO ALIGN THE MARKS ON THE SECONDARY CAM GEARS AT 90 DEHGREE ANGLE WITH THE VALVE COVER MATING SURFACE. WHICH TO ME THIS TELLS ME THAT THIS IS WHERE THE SECONDARY CAMS NEED TO BE LOCATED TO BE IN TIME. IF THAT IS THE CASE THIS WOULD PUT MY PRIMARY CAM GEARS IN THE CORRECT POSITION. DOES THIS MAKE SINCE? IF THIS IS WHAT I NEED TO DO CAN I TURN THE CAM GEARS INDEPENDANTLY FROM MY CRANK SHAFT?

Old 08-17-2007, 03:19 PM
yellowjacket99
Professional

Sorry it's been a couple days. If the marks on the secondary gears are at 90 degree's from the mating surface, and the timing marks on the primary gears are lined up with the colored links on the chain, and the colored link is lined up with the mark on the oil pump, then you should be good. I did rotate the cams independently if that helps. I had some trouble getting everything lined up. This is all kinda hard to explain in writing, without showing you, but I hope you have an idea now and good luck!

Quick Reply: RESETTING THE TIMING