Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Cars > Dodge Neon > 2nd Gen Neon
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

P0743 after PCM replacement

Old 03-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Rookie

ok guys sorry i took me so long to get the car scanned but i had a death in the family so was away for a few. Well i went to the car shop down the street from my house and he pulled the same codes i did.

P1698- Which is something elctrical goin from TCM to PCM

I took the TCM out to look at it and this is what i foundClick the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Rookie

there was so much sand up in there. Im not 100% sure but i think sand does screw with electronics. Now the sand is mostly sitting on the gel in the TCM but there might as well be some actually in the electronics.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yeah, dirt or the like is not good for electronics.

Quote:
Chrysler
Number- P1698
Type- Powertrain Manufacturer Controlled DTC- Manufacturer Controlled
Description- PCM Fault, No CCD Messages from TCM Conditions
Cause- Key on, and the PCM did not detect any CCD messages from the Transaxle Control Module for 10 seconds
As for how to fix that, I'd have to look through a Google search. Could be all of that sand (messed up the TCM), could be a harness issue, could be a sensor(s) issue...

Torque Strut Alignment Procedure | Maintenance Info | '00-'02 FSM | '03-'05 FSM | FAQ and Performance Thread

Please do not PM me questions about your Neon. Start a thread. Your questions will be answered quicker that way.
If you do PM me, expect a 1-2 week wait for a reply.
All FSM pictures, pages and information: 2003 DaimlerChrysler Corporation
Old 03-11-2011, 06:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 PT cruiser limited, 98 intrepid rebuilding the engine

I've seen that before and not cause a problem The electronics are completely sealed in a silcon gel. But since you're having a trans issue, toss in another TCM and see what happens. Especially since you destroyed the cover.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Rookie

yea i couldn't get those damm star screws off. I ended up stripping them, so i just cut it off and peeled it back.

I seen a site where they take my VIN and program the new TCM and sent it out to you. So i wont have to go see a dealer. They want 200 for it and also the core.

I checked all the wiring and it looked all good to me.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Professional

Vehicle: '04 Neon SXT

When I spent time in the desert, I was blowing that amount of sand out of my HEMTT's air filters daily ...
Old 03-12-2011, 12:08 AM

IDK that flashing is required. i put an intrepid tcm in a 02 neon and I put a caravan tcm in a shadow. Both worked fine. All I had to do is set the tire size which any decent scanner allows.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterTodd View Post
When I spent time in the desert, I was blowing that amount of sand out of my HEMTT's air filters daily ...
I was blowing that much out of my M4 and my ruck sack after every night ops mission.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Rookie

i dont think it needs to be flashed, i think thats the reason they ask for ur VIN and mileage so they do it for you
Old 03-12-2011, 10:33 AM

IDK why anyone would need mileage for the TCM. It doesn't store that information.

Did you ever have it diagnosed properly before you busted the thing?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22DODGE22 View Post
IDK why anyone would need mileage for the TCM. It doesn't store that information.

Did you ever have it diagnosed properly before you busted the thing?
its not busted, i just peeled back the backing. If it still works which i dont think it does, all i have to do is bend metal back and bolt it back down. And this time i will wrap it in plastic so nothing gets up in there.

when you say properly diagnose what do you mean. I just got the codes read thats all. I never checked for current cause im waiting to find the numbers to see if im gettin correct current from tcm to pcm
Old 03-12-2011, 11:54 AM

You know you just keep running circles around the correct way to solve this problem. I count how many times you've been told how to get this diagnosed properly. Before you post again. put the TCM back in, get a real scanner on it and see WTF is going on. As far as getting stuff in there, I took apart 3 TCM's 10 min ago just to see what it looks like and all are just as dirty as yours. AGAIN the dirt in side isn't your problem all the electronics are sealed in gel. That cover doesn't even have any kind of seal on it anyway because it doesn't need it!
s

Last edited by 22DODGE22; 03-12-2011 at 11:57 AM..
Old 03-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22DODGE22 View Post
You know you just keep running circles around the correct way to solve this problem. I count how many times you've been told how to get this diagnosed properly. Before you post again. put the TCM back in, get a real scanner on it and see WTF is going on. As far as getting stuff in there, I took apart 3 TCM's 10 min ago just to see what it looks like and all are just as dirty as yours. AGAIN the dirt in side isn't your problem all the electronics are sealed in gel. That cover doesn't even have any kind of seal on it anyway because it doesn't need it!
s
i took it to a shop, they scanned for codes and i posted what the results where. So how im i goin around in circles. if you have a better way, then feel free to explain. Other then scanning the car for codes that all i know how to do. so please enlightening besides getting your panies in a bunch.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:13 PM