2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Reinventing the Neons PCV system

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:53 AM
chew*
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reinventing the Neons PCV system

So I got my car back up and running and decided to tackle some PCV issues while retaining the 2gn valve cover.

More so as I want to retain the Magnum valve cover.

My goal is to modify the PCV system while making it more functional with the inclusion of a catch can while making it look presentable and fit into factory applications for the majority.

Here's a ballpark idea and mock up of one of the spare engines i have laying around.

Not sure if you can see it but the idea is to install a brass fitting into valvecover. A fitting screws into that with a 3/8 compression fitting exit.

From there I will come out with 3/8 stainless into 3/8 compression and a fitting that will screw into catch can. The "can" is a air/water seperator with a quick release funtion picked purposely for that function. You just need to hit a release tab spin 1/3 and it comes right out.

Out side of catch can will be the new home for the PCV which is screwed into a brass fitting and then into the catch can. The factory L elbow will be retained. From the elbow will run stainless steel down to intake.

I will pick up the stainless tommorow and make some bends to massage it in. All this should fit perfectly around the air box and heater pipe that wrap around the head. The stainless steel should be enough to completely support the catch can so no further mountin will be necessary.

Total cost I am estimating high at roughly $40.

The whole purpose is to elimate the PCV from ever sucking down straight oil while still retaining it's function of crankcase ventilation. With regular maintanence which due to the ease of removal of the resevoir should not be an issue, oil should never make it's way into the intake again which can and will cause drivability issues, not to mention throw the map sensor out of wack. It also allows the actual PCV valve to function properly.

Last edited by chew*; 11-16-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:30 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I take it you've got a Magnum VC around? That'll be an interesting set-up though. Can't wait to see some pictures.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:08 PM
chew*
Professional

Originally Posted by darthroush
I take it you've got a Magnum VC around? That'll be an interesting set-up though. Can't wait to see some pictures.
Yes, got an entire parts car at my disposal for $550, only thing I can't have from it is the actual chassis.

I found a second one but the guy never responded back.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:47 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I wish that I had a place to keep a parts car for each that I own, lol, and find one for that cheap!

Old 11-16-2011, 05:05 PM
chew*
Professional

I wish that I had a place to keep a parts car for each that I own, lol, and find one for that cheap!
I don't have room for it either :P

The junkyard is holding it for me till I'm done with stripping it.

On topic I finished it. It may need the down pipe modified for a magnum intake but that shouldn't be to much trouble.

Here's a bunch of mockup pics and the finished product on my car.

Removal is fairly simple, slide black lever on front of unit up spin 1/8th and the entire bowl drops out.

Sorry for horrible pics. As estimated it cost about $40 max....maybe a tad more if you want to invest in paint to color match it.

Functionality wise it works fine so far, gonna drive around for a week with it. As far as shifting around I was correct in the sense that the stainless steel is enough to keep it from moving at all.

Mock up on the stock engine with stock ( modified ) air box.

Actual usage installed in my car with my beater engine. I used zipties till I could make a trip to autozone for clamps. I wouldn't trust the zipties for daily use.....

I decided to do the the other vent tube stainless as well since it has been sort of rigged together to work with my CAI, I just need to add a clamp to secure it to head where I conveniently routed it near a bolt.

Also this is with proper clamps installed on hose now. If I actually painted everything it would almost look factory.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:06 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Damn dude, that thing is beefy! I was just going to get the basic, small one and use rubber hose. Actually, that reminds me. I'm heading down to where I've got my trucks parked...I should grab the extra separator while I'm there so I can install it on the Neon.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 PM
chew*
Professional

Damn dude, that thing is beefy! I was just going to get the basic, small one and use rubber hose. Actually, that reminds me. I'm heading down to where I've got my trucks parked...I should grab the extra separator while I'm there so I can install it on the Neon.
Cool, you should try the PCV relocation with the small one, IIRC the thread size of the next one down is the same as PCV threading.

You can still use hose, just thread a npt to 3/8 barb fitting in valve cover.

The relocation appears to be working flawlessly.

I imagine the PCV can't work properly when constantly getting flooded with oil in the factory location.

I'm going to replace my brake booster hose from intake and clean my intakes runners with kerosene this weekend and clean the map out one last time, after a couple weeks I will verify everything is remaining dry.

Last edited by chew*; 11-16-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Reinventing the Neons PCV system