2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Surging at 40-60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Motoatrix13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surging at 40-60 mph

Ok, so I have a couple of issues I cannot figure out. First, when running between 40 and 60 miles per hour the car will surge when given light throttle. It will also sometimes sputter and come close to dying, when I take off. The sputter is intermittent though. The car seems to be ok if I drop it into 2nd gear, but as soon as I up up shift to 3rd, it starts again when I apply light throttle pressure. I have replaced all the plugs, plug wires, alternator, battery, coil pack, cam positioning sensor, and crankshaft positioning sensor. I am getting no check engine light or codes.

So, could it be the fuel filter/pressure regulator? The car revs fine in park and idles pretty good. I am at a loss and really have no idea where to start. If anyone can help me, I would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping I can fix it myself and not have to take it into the shop. Thanks in advance for any info I get.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:37 AM
srt4rez
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check all vacuum connections, sometimes leaking vacuum lines can cause a problem like that. Check wires as well, make sure no shortening around the engine compartment. Make sure spark plugs are gauged properly too. You might want to add a good gas additive to clean out your system. Also make sure your check engine light works.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:34 PM
bgii_2000
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Check for shortening

That definitely seems like a fuel system / engine sensor problem. Either the ECU thinks that the engine needs more gas, or the fuel system is giving if more than it needs. Vacuum is definitely a good place to start.

The CEL will generally only throw the code if it does it more than once in a certain time period. See if you can trigger the symptoms several times in a row (like 6 or 7 repetitions). Though, you might not get any more than just a Cylinder # Misfire detected code.

Last edited by bgii_2000; 01-31-2014 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Smiley didn't work.

Quick Reply: Surging at 40-60 mph