2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Requesting Assistance Diagnosing Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 09:53 PM
SecuritronX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Requesting Assistance Diagnosing Noise

Greetings everyone, first time poster here, and unfortunately, I find myself in the position of requiring a bit of assistance. I'm hoping to get some opinions on a rather perplexing noise I've been experiencing lately with my 2005 Dodge Neon SXT.

I've uploaded a video demonstrating the sound which you can find here.

Here's a little info regarding the issue:

1. The noise is a metallic sounding rattling or tapping noise which is present and increases in volume only when accelerating.

2. The noise temporarily pauses/stops when the car shifts gears (ATX), and resumes once in next gear.

3. Appears to be emanating from the driver's side front / transmission area.

4. Car seems to shift through all gears fine.

5. First thought was CV joint/axle half-shaft. Replaced with a brand new axle. No change in sound. (Possible the new axle was bad as well?)

6. Also changed transmission fluid and filter. No change in sound.

7. Recently changed timing belt/water pump and replaced all motor mounts and transmission mount in process. No change in sound.

8. Filled up with premium gasoline to try to rule out possible engine ping with no effect ( I really think the issue is transmission/axle related).

I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment, so I'm hoping maybe a little help online might point me in the right direction. I'm starting to think maybe the aftermarket axel I purchased might have been in some way defective or incompatible, but I'd hate to buy another just to see if that is the case. Anyway, if anyone doesn't mind checking out the short video above and posting their thoughts on the matter, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:21 PM
sbhawaiian
Professional

Try looking at your transmission mount to see if it is cracked. It's under your battery tray. I also find that after you pull the battery and tray you can check around that area with a better view of anything that might be broken or loose.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:48 AM
truebluecougarman

it might just be the video....but could it possibly just be an exhaust leak? From up top by the headers...? Is it completely gone when your foot's off the gas, or does it just get much quieter?

Quick Reply: Requesting Assistance Diagnosing Noise