2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

'05 broken 4 days after purchasing

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 05:57 PM
bigmo66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 broken 4 days after purchasing

Just bought my college Daughter an '05 SXT from a Ford dealer. Car looks great, drove great, was clean as a whistle and the dealership had the carfax and service records. Has a new top mount, struts, brakes, 4 new tires and all fluids and mechanics checked. 121k on the motor. They were very pleasant to deal with and came down $500. Out the door for $3500. It was so clean they included a "Royal Shield" 3 month/4k warranty. 4 days after bringing it home it started leaking coolant. Called the dealership and since they are 45 miles away they said bring it to a Ford dealership in my town. It was determined that the water pumped puked so they proceed to contact warranty folks and they are balking and want to sit on it waiting for pictures and details.

The whole thing is making me and my family sick. The warranty folks are saying we must have bought a defective vehicle and they should not have to pay for repairs so soon. CRAP HAPPENS! The selling dealership is saying if the warranty company won't cover it, they are not obligated to fix it. That gets my blood boiling even more. Gee, a car went 4 days without breaking down.

I'll know Monday what their decision is. I am tempted to go to the local dealer and hand them a timing belt while they have the old one off, but I bet they will tell me that is a whole new service and want to charge from scratch and separate. Just venting a little - sorry.

Steve

Old 01-02-2015, 08:37 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Time to read your warranty contract thoroughly. Them "feeling" they shouldn't have to deal with a claim so soon is too bad for them. Unless there is a part of the contract that says you must wait X days to file a claim from the purchase, you need to get on them. As for the dealership saying they aren't obligated to fix it themselves if the warranty company won't pay out, as much as it sucks, they aren't. The warranty company pays them and as a business, giving away free parts/service isn't a good move. The oil pump in my transmission went out a few weeks after I bought my '03. It's a used car; stuff breaks.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:09 PM
bigmo66

Thought I would follow up. It took a week, but finally got the warrant folks to authorize repairs. The demanded pics of the leak then waited. Then they demanded more pics of the water pump itself which of course involved a few hours and was costly to me if this fell through. The agreed to fix it.

On a good note, the mechanic said the water pump, tensioner and belt all looked brand new. Don't know why the pump failed. Belt is a NAPA. I feel better knowing the belt and tensioner were new-ish.

Hoping the little bugger lasts my Daughter a good while.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:28 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Gotta read those contracts carefully. Used car warranties aways make you bend over backwards. Their first response is "not covered" and it's up to you to prove it is. Sad, but been there, done that.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:50 AM
bigmo66

The parts were indeed covered right there in black & white. They were just upset I used the service a week after getting the car. I didn't buy the warranty as it came with the vehicle so abuse on my part.

Quick Reply: '05 broken 4 days after purchasing