2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2004 Neon Motor Mount Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:34 PM
bzeilstr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Neon Motor Mount Question

I have an 04 Neon (SX 2.0) that could use some motor mount mtce. From what I have seen and read there are 2 mounts, one passenger (center mount) and one driver (tranny mount). There are another 2 mounts that are effectively torque struts, an upper and a lower on the passenger side. The struts look pretty straight forward to replace but I am aware that there is an engine alignment protocol to observe.
The biggest pita appears to be the passenger side motor mount. All the videos I see on the net have a lot of work in very close quarters to get this mount out. My query is this. If the engine/tranny is supported properly on a floor jack or engine hoist, and all 4 mount/struts are removed (including tranny mount removed), what prevents the engine from being adjusted laterally in the engine bay to provide more access room to remove the passenger side mount from the frame? Has anyone ever tried this?
I'm pretty new to this car but I think there might be a couple inches of wiggle room for the engine which might make changing all the mounts together, the best approach.
What do you think??

Old 02-10-2015, 11:08 AM
tmbouman

Hi Bzeilstr,
I have a 05 neon and I have replaced all of the mounts. I have not tried doing them all at once (I did passenger side motor and two torque mounts then later did the tranny mount). While it is tight, I found that leaving the tranny mount in and just jacking the engine up and down allowed enough room to work. Even with the tranny mount out, I don't think you'll get much more slop to work with. It's pretty tight in there...just wait until you try to replace the timing belt, which you many want to look at doing if you're going to mess around in there. The engine is an interference and if you're above 100k in miles you may be on borrow time.

Just my thoughts,
-Troy

Old 02-10-2015, 02:50 PM
bzeilstr

Not over 100K yet but sometime in the next year or 2. I just thought if a body was replacing all the mounts it might be easier. Good point about timing belt and probably water pump while in there as well. Don't need to be doing an engine job for the sake of a few hundred bucks in preventative mtce. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: 2004 Neon Motor Mount Question