2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Misfire cylinder #2, but only when idling

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 05:42 PM
cougarmt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire cylinder #2, but only when idling

2004 SXT. I've confirmed a misfire on cylinder #2. Since the car is new to me, I checked all plugs; existing ones were cheapies, gap set too wide, and #3 was loose. I replaced all plugs, and misfire remained in #2. Swapped plug wires and same misfire, same cylinder. It only happens when idling, and goes away as soon as I give it a little throttle, and does not seem to occur at all going down the road.
Any ideas as to what I might check?

Old 08-11-2015, 02:33 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need three things for ignition: air, fuel and spark. You've replaced the plugs and the misfire stayed on the same cylinder. You swapped wires and the misfire stayed. If the engine wasn't getting air, it wouldn't be a single cylinder issue. Sounds to me like there are still two things to check: the coil pack and the fuel system (the #2 injector specifically since it's on cylinder two)

Old 08-29-2015, 12:40 PM
cougarmt

Just an update.... Found compression on #2 at 65psi, and wet test revealed problem is in the head (not mine, the engine's....). Waiting for gasket set to arrive before I start the teardown. Once I can inspect the valvetrain, I will determine next move; likely order a reman head. Going to replace timing belt and water pump while I have it apart since previous owner couldn't confirm it had been changed (141,000 miles on it right now). Mileage averaging 25.5mpg (automatic trans).

Old 08-31-2015, 01:05 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

replace the timing belt tensioner with a manual one & pulley, good time to fix leaky crank/cam seals too

Old 09-07-2015, 07:23 PM
cougarmt

Another update:

Finally got the head off yesterday; found heads on both intake valves on #2 slightly bent; piston is fine (go figure), lifters fine, cam fine, head gasket showed no signs of failure. It's obvious this engine has been worked on before by one of the previous owners, as some bolts were missing, some had different size heads than OEM, unsecured wires, hoses, etc. Sloppy and lazy work! Grrr...
Reman'd head on it's way. Replacing right side motor/trans mounts and oil pan gasket while the engine is suspended. New water pump in place. Will be nice to see how she does power- and fuel-economy wise, once back together. )

Quick Reply: Misfire cylinder #2, but only when idling