Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Cars > Dodge Neon > 2nd Gen Neon
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2002 neon won't start no spark

Old 03-03-2007, 05:23 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Default 2002 neon won't start no spark

I have a 2002 neon automatic(just a basic neon, no power nothin)and last week i replaced the belt tensioner then tried to start it and got the car to crank but no spark or fuel.I had replaced the battery(seeming as it was bad) and the coilpack .So i decided to go to the dealer and they said the PCM was bad and it would cost 700 dollars (outrageous).They told me that itHAD to be specifically for that car then went on to tell me that they had it in stock. Now correct me if I"m wrong but if it wasSPECIFICALLY made for my car, how would they have it in stock?????? So I figured that they were BSing me, soI got it from the junkyardoff a 2002 automatic.Got home , put it in , and now I got fuel because I can smell it but no spark still[:@]My question is...Does the PCM have to be reprogrammed from Dodge in order for the car to start? Or can I just reset the PCM myself by doing the battery thing?WhenI turnthe key to startthe car,there is power to the coilpack for a split second then the power goes out.If I try to start the car quickly, I"ll get one cylinder to fire once(wierd). Is that possibly the ASD relay?I've been without a car for ove ra week now and Iwould just like to get the car running.If there is anybody thatcan help me, THANK YOU in advance
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 03-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Grand Champion
Garage is empty, add now

Default RE: 2002 neon won't start no spark

At first I thought you may be having a Sentry issue, but it could be related to your ASD relay... Does the car start up (just for afew seconds) or crank over at all? How exactly are you confirming power is getting to the coilpack for a littler while and cylinder 1 is firing?
Former: 2003 Neon R/T: COMP 400 Cam, K&N CAI, Eibach Prokit, Tokico Blues, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Vibrant F/R Strut Bars, Unorthodox UDP, Maddog 72% STS, JonnyMopar Solid Shift Bushings, Prothane MM's, Exel Speeds, Toyo PX4's, RB1 Nav.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I had used a test light on the coilpack harness(the center pin) and got power for a split second. A company that deals with PCM's told me that the PCM has to be reprogrammed to my VIN number since I had replaced the PCM from a different car.So I guess I will have to go that route.Does that sound right?I will have to go to dodge for that?
Old 03-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Grand Champion
Garage is empty, add now

Yeah you'll have to go to a Dodge dealer, unless of course you have a DRBIII laying around your house . It should take them about five minutes to do, but knowing dealerships it will probably take them an entire day...
Former: 2003 Neon R/T: COMP 400 Cam, K&N CAI, Eibach Prokit, Tokico Blues, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Vibrant F/R Strut Bars, Unorthodox UDP, Maddog 72% STS, JonnyMopar Solid Shift Bushings, Prothane MM's, Exel Speeds, Toyo PX4's, RB1 Nav.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Garage is empty, add now

HAHAHAHA thats funny because it is probably true.I hope this solves the problem.Ill post if I have any more problemss. Thank you once again for your input
Old 03-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
2004 Dodge SRT-4

Vehicle: 2004 SRT-4 "Skittle"
Send a message via AIM to flamingpinhead

the PCM must be reflashed specifically for your vehicle. the dealer can do it, i beleive flightsystems.com is another place you can overnight it to, have it reflashed and they send it back.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:32 PM