2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2001 Dashboard Cracks

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 01:58 PM
namrehs300
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2001 Dashboard Cracks

The link that Truckin Tom posted above is a pretty good product. I ordered one for $156 postage paid. It comes in from a company in San Angelo, Texas called Coverlay Manufacturing and was delivered in less than a week via UPS.

The overlay fits very well, but unfortunately the gray color I chose is a good bit lighter color than my 2001 dashboard. It's pretty close to the color of the door panel. I'm trying to decide now whether to go with a black, or just use the gray I got.

Bottom line - even if it's off color some, it still looks a lot better than the piece of cracked crap that's on it now.

Old 08-20-2005, 04:56 PM
namrehs300
Default RE: 2001 Dashboard Cover cheaper at different site

OOPS - I paid too much!

Just checked the direct website at www.coverlaymfg.com and you can get the overlay for $112. And they have many more colors than what was on the website that Truckin Tom posted. I believe they have my darker gray color - I'll be calling them when they reopen Monday morning.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:51 PM
MGDMike
Champion

Namrehs300-How did the install go? Any tricks and tips that you know that could help me out? Or for that matter does anyone have any advice before I put my dash on when I order it? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-14-2005, 06:09 AM
aggiedave05

Like someone above, I came to this site with the same problem. [:@]

Does anyone have any current links for overlay or dash replacements. The ones listed above don't work. One has 0 graphics (just show an X) and the other isn't a website anymore.

Any other solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:51 AM
namrehs300

Hey aggie - if you go to the coverlay site that I posted above, it works and they are the least expensive overlays I've found. I would not use Pickup Specialties - bad service. Just go directly to Coverlay.

No, I didn't yet get mine put on. Had to return a wrong colored one and haven't got around to ordering another one. Anybody else put one on yet?

I'm fairly near Allen Samuels and thought I might check out the price that was listed in an above post. Seems like a pretty good deal and it wouldn't be an overlay. My dash rattles and squeaks pretty good and I don't think an overlay will fix that, so now I'm thinking more about a new dash.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:10 PM
tropical imports

EASY DASH FIX YOU CAN DO YOURSELF for LESS THAN $40

Yes. Have a 1999 Ram 1500 with multiple cracks on the dash. Dodge did buy mass produced dash's for these trucks overseas and they are defective. The dealer would not do a thing (as it is not a safety issue involved - just a cosmetic issue). they simply don't care. Anyway would not buy another Dodge truck because of this. Would gladly pay more for a Chevy or Ford truck just because of the customer service issue.

Anyway. here is a quick fix I do in my shop to remedy this situation and it is cheap and looks very excellent.

First, go to Home Depot and buy a tube of GE Silicone II clear.....make sure you get the right stuff or it will not work.......It is 100% Silicone window and door caulk with the white and gold tube...$4.89 per tube...don't buy the cheap stuff.......

Then put on some vinyl gloves and caulk all your cracks in the dash with this..MIne was broken into about 10 pieces and I had to put it back together like a jigsaw puzzle........Once you put all the pieces and align them caulk all the cracks...Use a lot of caulk in excess........then you take your finger with the vinyl gloves and smear and smoothen your caulks all over.....Make sure you smoothen it pretty good as you will be putting a dash cover over this the next day..........Just smear the silicone with your fingers on the crack lines so it covers the cracks and both sides of the cracks about 1 inch on each side..........Let dry overnight.........

The next day your dash will be really solid as the silicone hardens yet remains pliable and bonds the plastic dash perfectly.........Just install a nice dash mat on top of this and you have a very nice looking dash now that will not rattle and looks really great in case you might want to sell your truck..........I bought my mat at: CarCoverGuys.com and got the velour one in gray which looked really great........You can install the dash mat easily too as you go also to Home Depot
and get Elmer's contact cement in the quart and brush it on all over the dash and install your cover........Let sit overnight also to dry.........the whole project will cost under $50.......

Good Luck !

Old 12-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tips!!

~Amanda

Old 12-11-2005, 05:58 PM
ramsportguy
Professional

Well,
looks like i am in the same boat as eveyone else here.I too own a 2001 dodge ram 4x4 sport and my dashboard was perfect until today i seen a crack all the way down from the instument cluster to the heater vent on top.I am very pissed cause i take care of my truck as well and to see this is unbelieveable.I will replace the dashboard and will put one of them covers on top to protect it.Unreal this is happening to us all....

thanks
pat

Old 02-18-2006, 01:46 PM
namrehs300

I asked this question in another thread but never got an answer. So I'll ask it on this thread:

Has anyone replaced their dashboard yet, and if so, has that one started to crack also. Seems like if you order a new dash from Chrysler, the same thing would happen (unless they changed vendors since 01)

Two things are very obvious: First, Dodge had a vendor that made defective dashes in 2000/01. Second, Dodge won't do a dang thing about it.

And therefore my conclusion and that of several other people who have posted here: We'll never again buy a Dodge truck.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:19 AM
batman13
Grand Champion

I would reccomend everybody who has a problem with their dash to contact corporate headquarters.
I refuse to buy any cars new, I would rather avoid dealers at all costs, I am still a fan of dodge, however,
I have an uncle who has an 01 and I've never heard any complaints from him, hes never had any problems with his truck,
don't blame dodge trucks blame corporate who cuts corners to save money regardless of consiquences.
________
Angelique

Last edited by batman13; 09-03-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dashboard Cracks