2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Title Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Title Question

So I have 2 Rams, 1 that I'm keeping and 1 that I'm parting out. I just have a question as to what to do about the title that I'm parting out. Do I need to go junk the title? What if someone wants to buy the cab, do they get the title? What if I've junked it? Anyone ever do this before? What do I need to do?

Old 04-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check with your local motor vehicle authority regarding the status of the title depending on various events.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:57 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Varies state to state and sometimes county to county. What someone tells you on here may or may not be true for your location. Best to contact the DMV and get the correct answer.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok, just checked with the local DMV. They told me to junk the title. If someone wants to buy the cab, they can un-junk it for me. Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As a general rule, people should always, always, ALWAYS check with their local motor vehicle authority (DMV, Tax Commission, etc) regarding title issues BEFORE buying or selling titled property.

Based on threads from another forum I now lurk, here are some issues where people screw themselves:

• Buying a vehicle where the seller states he does not have a title, but that "it's easy to get one".
  • Buying a vehicle from "State X" without verifying what is needed so it can be titled in "State Y".
  • Not realizing that some States do not assign a title to vehicles over a certain age and only require a Bill of Sale.
  • Not including any lien releases with the title when the property is sold or transferred.

One real stickler is people who have heard about Broadway Title, which goes hand-in-hand with the first point I mentioned, thinking that it is a cure-all for missing title issues. Some States have been cracking down on titles issued by Broadway Title and will not honor them. The same holds for another called International Title Service, which has a history of bilking people out of money.

One piece of advice I can give is that *IF* the seller does not have a title, but claims it's easy to get, is to demand he get a title. If the seller is unwilling, or offers various reasons why he can't get a title (ie too busy, needs money) then walk away. No matter how sweet the deal may be, I guarantee you'll spend more time and money encumbered with legal issues down the road. I have read many stories of people who've spend thousands restoring a vehicle only to learn they can't register it because there isn't a clear chain of title. They either end up getting a lawyer to help sort the legal issues or, as can happen in some States, the authorities impound the vehicle.

Some States require the title be surrendered with the vehicle if it's hauled off for scrap/junked, while others don't worry about the title if the vehicle is past a certain age (usually 25 years).

Also consider that States can also issue a VIN in certain situations.

Once again, always speak with that local or State regulatory agency first before proceeding with either buying or selling when a question arises.

Last edited by Gary-L; 04-21-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Title Question