2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Converting 97 4x4 to a 2x2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 03:12 PM
discboy321
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting 97 4x4 to a 2x2 ?

So here is my dilema. I am currently disabled and no funds to do the job correctly but I need my truck for every day use. I have a 1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9L and this last winter I broke the u-joint on the front right axle. So I do not have any money to fix it correctly. I want to run it as a 2x2 until I can fix it. I already took out the front axles and just put rags in . I drove it for 50miles and have notice there is some type of "other" shaft comming out of the axle. I need to know what is it , and what eles I need to do to run it as a 2x2 without doing any real harm to the truck ? Ed
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-17-2007, 03:28 PM
2001mustang_gt
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Converting 97 4x4 to a 2x2 ?

all you should have to do is unhook the front drive shaft from the transfer....unless i am wrong

Old 06-17-2007, 03:37 PM
froesen
Professional

to change the u-joint is a pretty straight-forward job if you already have the axle shaft out, but if you want to stick with 2wd there's a few things that'll need doing. that "other" shaft is the intermediate axle shaft....these trucks have a CAD (central axle disconnect) vacuum operated shift motor in the passenger-side axle tube that disconnects the intermediate and outer shafts, which allows the diff carrier and driveshaft to remain stationary when in 2wd (fuel economy/wear). with the intermediate shaft out you'll have to take your drivers side shaft out too. but you'll also have to leave our outer stub shafts in the hub bearing off of the driveshafts because they keep the bearing from falling appart. other than that, as long as you keep water etc out of it, it SHOULD be ok...if i were you i'd take the shaft that you already have out to a shop, have them swap the u-joint (should be cheap, takes 15 minutes) and put it back together. good luck!

Old 06-17-2007, 04:31 PM
discboy321

[align=left]Thanks Frosen ! I also tore the ears off of the drivers side inside hub assbl. and since I can not afford any repairs I will replace both driver side and passenger side u-joints. I just bent back the ears because that had to go back on any ways on the hub. Is there a "intermediate axle shaft" on both sides or just the passenger side ? and also should I use just rags to plug up the axles or should I use anything eles ? What about the oil thats in the front axle , Is it ok to let it dry out . I know that I am not using it but just want to make sure.Down the road I will replace and rebuild it . Ed [/align][align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Converting 97 4x4 to a 2x2 ?