2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine stalls after it reaches operating temp

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 06:16 PM
z28clone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update at top of page

changed plugs, wires, cap, and IAC. it stopped stalling. engine light hasnt come on, but i havent driven it enough to verify.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:58 PM
Tarner
Professional
Default RE: update at top of page

good to hear man!!! I just replaced the O2 sensor today and it still die on me. it a little better but not totally gone. I called my buddy that works on Rams at the local dealer and he told me to clean the throttle body and IAC sensor. If that didn't do the trick I should chhck the battery.

We'll see how that works out tomorrow.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:34 PM
LPIdaho
Amateur
Default RE: engine stalls after it reaches operating temp

ORIGINAL: FORDHATER

I c your tech certified, i hope you can tell me what to do here.Sunday IChanged my fuel pump for no reason!![:@]Saturday I thought I had bought some bad gas, cuz the truck kept dying in a city 65 miles from home.I bought some Lucas injector cleaner and tried that but after fightin it for four hours it finally would not start again so my buddy brought his chevy and trailer and hauled it home.
IAC, replace it.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:21 PM
burtbrenneman

figured out why brake light and abs light came on. fuel line. easy fix. going to test the iac pigtail today to make sure getting right voltage. ill keep updated

Old 01-03-2008, 03:02 PM
burtbrenneman

something else i havenoticed the tackin my truck will variate abouta 1000 rpms with no surge in the engine. the engine will stay steady but the taack will bounce

Old 01-03-2008, 04:20 PM
FORDHATER

Don't neglect your relays! I spent over $350 on my truck this past weekend only to find out that my ASD relay was the culprit. I've had more relays and fuses go bad than any other thing on my truck, mechanics say one thing then i change it out and it didn't help. Then and only then do i realize that i could have swapped out a relay and fixed the whole problem. Thanx to everyone who gave me ideas on fixing the problem. This is a great site in a time of need.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:53 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

If you guys find out what is cuasing this let me know! I posted a new thread today not knowing this one existed. Mine too stalls at operating temp, when at idle, slowing down to stop, etc. The tach bounces down to 0 and tries to go back up, but that is when the engine stalls. Already changed the TPS and MAP. The truck threw a code for the MAP about 2 weeks ago so I thought that was the problem, but it seems to be getting worse.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Tarner
Professional

Mine is fixed!!!!!! All I did was pull the Throttle body and IAC motor and clean them. They were pretty nasty looking. I also disconnected the battery during this time and reset the computer. Hooked everything back up and it starts up and purrs like a kitten. Even after I ran around town and warmed her up good.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:53 PM
burtbrenneman

ladies and gentelmen it is finally over. replaced the crank sorsor and it purrs like a kitten. thanks everyone who gave suggestions. i can finally get the truck back on the road

Old 01-11-2008, 01:55 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

glad to hear it's fixed. did you do the install?

Quick Reply: engine stalls after it reaches operating temp