2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

turn key nothing happens

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:53 AM
z28clone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: turn key nothing happens

since i dont have a cover, someone please email me a pic of the under hood fuse cover. thanks.

i had a previous problem with the security system. The key wasnt turning off the alarm. I cut the wire coming off the lock and wire nutted the wires to permenantly disable the system. I hope its still not the system.

I will look into the fuse, relaysand the ignition. Damn its cold outside in Ohio.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:58 AM
z28clone

Forgot to add. Also wont start when in nuetral.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:40 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Here is the best I can do for the relay box. Mind you this is a picture for an 01 (which I have) and yours is a 98. I doubt they would have changed anything, but use as a reference at least. I swap'd my blower motor relay with my starter relay and had no change. They are the same size so give it a shot. If still nothing, pull that gray connector on the side of the black box apart. Theconnector you just undid, grab the side that runs with thepositive cable loom. Use a wire and jump the wire going from the starter to the positive battery terminal. If you have your keys in your pocket, she will just crank with no fire when you do this. Try it a few times to rule out your starter and work backwards. If you turn your key to the run position (orwhatever 2 clicks is when you hear the fuel pump) do the same thing as before and she should fire up. At least that is the experience with mine and how I am still running mine. I may go out tomarrow and look for one if I feel adventureous. It seems the start position on my ignition switch is bad so later this afternoon im gonna find my volt meter and pull the column apart and see if im getting 12 before the ignition switch, and after. Wish you luck. I'll keep you up 2 date on what I do since were in the same boat.

Good luck!
pcfixepro

[IMG]local://upfiles/60925/F6883A89764F4A8AA5AC118659551108.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-01-2008, 02:21 PM
z28clone

thanks for the image, I will check it out and compare. So far no fuses are blown under the hood or in the cab. WHen I turn the key to start, i hear/feel the blue relay clicking on the in cab fuse panel. I assume this means the wires from the ignition are good?
Will keep u posted too.

thanks

Old 01-01-2008, 03:08 PM
z28clone

your image matched the fuse box perfectly. I switched the starter and the blower relays. nothing. got it to start by jumpering it just like you said, so i can at least move the truckcloser to the house to look at. So far like I said in the previous post, the blue relay on the left side of the incab fuse box clicks when i try to turn the key tostart.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:04 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

remove your battery terminals and clean them, reinstall them, and make sure there tight..

Old 01-05-2008, 07:57 PM
z28clone

Fixed it. Turns out the wiring in the column had been messed prior to me owning the truck. the yellow ignition wire was splicedand taped. well the splice came apart. Thanks guys for the help.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:51 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

yea thats what my problem was. Hey, is there a little black box thats there too, remove that piece of $hit. I sent you a pm awhile back about it but idk if you ever got it since I never heard back. Either way im glad that it worked out for ya. In my case they tap'd the yellow line and it goes to a black box which is a starter immobilizer. Yanked that piece out and usinga paperclip to cross the wires for now. Ill go out and fix later today.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Rampant 150
Professional

ORIGINAL: pcfixerpro

yea thats what my problem was. Hey, is there a little black box thats there too, remove that piece of $hit. I sent you a pm awhile back about it but idk if you ever got it since I never heard back. Either way im glad that it worked out for ya. In my case they tap'd the yellow line and it goes to a black box which is a starter immobilizer. Yanked that piece out and usinga paperclip to cross the wires for now. Ill go out and fix later today.
Apaperclip? Try not to burn your truck to the ground with an electrical fire.

Quick Reply: turn key nothing happens