2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Are these cats worth anything?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:45 PM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are these cats worth anything?

htm, i'm in the same boat with ya. My truck runs fine, but seems like it oughta run better, faster, more efficient somewhere.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:58 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think maybe these trucks just aren't that fast. I mean it for sure has some power but I just am starting to think they aren't that fast. Sometimes it will spin the tires if you nail the gas and don't hit the brake but not always. Depends on road condidtions. It will powerbrake and leave long black marks but won't just fry the tires off from hitting the gas. I'm starting to think this is just not how these trucks are. Mine for sure isn't slow it's just not fast. Maybe 01DodgeRam360's is the exception to this or maybe his just seems faster hearing him talk about it. Not really sure.

I guess I'm wanting fast like the 06 Accord v6 6speed and honestly I probably never will see that out of a 6000lb Ram 4wd pickup.

Seems like a engine this huge should just be tire frying fast. I guess it's such a heavy truck though.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran

ORIGINAL: dhvaughan

so why are aftermarket cats not worth anything compared to oem ?

stock cats contain a slew of precious metals, like platnum, radium, etc... Aftermarket ones dont have those metals in them. dont ask me why, I have no clue why they dont have the metals in them

Old 06-26-2008, 07:54 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

well i'm sure if you stuck a 360 in your accord, it'd go pretty quick, lol.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:59 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: kowboydmac

well i'm sure if you stuck a 360 in your accord, it'd go pretty quick, lol.
On one hand I think it would on the other hand it has around the same hp or a little more with the v6. Although I'm sure the 360 has more torque. I guess idk I just want something quick like that. I've seen time slips saying they run 14's stock but I can't verify that as I've never run ours. I jur sort of wish my Ram had power like it does. It will spin the tires in 2nd at 40-45mph without even touching the clutch. My Ram will barely spin them from a standstill much less at even 10mph. I guess the Ram is about double the weight though so I'm sure that doesn't help.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:23 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

well, here's a gimme for ya.

I bet 20 bucks you could work on your ram easier, faster, and quicker than your honda.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:52 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Thats true however the Ram seems to need working on about 15x more often than either of the Honda's do. This 06 hasn't really needed anything yet *knock on wood* The 96 has had lots replaced but what do you expect after 225k miles. I still think the Honda's come out ahead. They might be harder to work on but they seem to be break a lot less.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:47 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

HTM,
I saw this topic on Pavementsucks, course they got dicks on there so I didn't post it on there, but up here in WI we're getting $100 for a cat, one guy got $115 for his cat, bring'r to the scrapyard and you might get some good cash for it. BTW how do you like that magnaflow cat? I heard a Dodge that had a magnaflow hi-flow cat w/straight pipes it sounded great, what kind of mufflers you have on your truck? I know I said it 'fore but your truck looks sweet[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 06-27-2008, 03:21 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I have a Flowmaster 40 series single 2.5" in dual 2.25" out muffler on my truck with the Magnaflow cat. It sounds really good to me. It seems a little louder. It's not a ton louder I don't think but it does seem some louder. Seems to really sound good when you rev it up and let off the gas. I don't know how to explain it I don't guess I'd call it deeper. More of a tin can type sound maybe but not in a bad way. I guess not quite as deep sounding. It's super hard to explain but it sounds really good to me. I really like how it sounds. I can't say I noticed a huge power difference if I even noticed one at all. Hard to tell if there was one at all but it wasn't huge.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:24 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Ah ok. Yea I bet it sounds cool. Thinking of maybe going louder or do you not like your truck loud?

Quick Reply: Are these cats worth anything?