2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dodge ram transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:31 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
I am also going to have to disagree on what was stated about heat and towing. The 46RH and 46RE transmissions are fairly stout units under loads. What kills them is cheap seals mixed with crappy machining from the factory. When you have them rebuilt, these manufacturing defects are corrected turning them into a VERY stout unit.
ok, so they're not weak, they're just crappy transmissions that are likely to fail and cost you an extra $2000.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:33 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteC
When they are rebuilt correctly Trust me, most shops are not concerned with fixing manufacturing defects, only making money.
monte, are you ready to go into the business of rebuilt transmissions... there's opportunity here.....

Old 12-10-2008, 09:41 AM
bigpapawack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like some good opinions. i was looking at a ram with 89k that he said were all highway miles and its an automatic 5.9L in really nice shape. he wants $3500 and i though that was a great price but i don't want to have to worry about dropping $2000 into a rebuild trans soon after i would purchase it. just want something reliable that wont give me many problems. how are the 5 speed 4x4 ram transmissions? any different with defects or they strong?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:17 AM
audiomechanic
Captain

The tranny in that truck should be fine if you LEAVE IT ALONE. For some reason that I have no explanation for, tranny's that have never been serviced last 200K while the one's that have had regular service go 100-120 and then die. Makes no sense to me but seems to be true.

As far as manuals, they only came on the 318 in the 1/2 ton. If you want a 360 manual, you have to step up to the 3/4 ton. The weak part of the manuals is the clutch and, I think, the output shaft nut. Swap the clutch with a stout performance one, and fix the output shaft and rock out.

Last edited by audiomechanic; 12-10-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:20 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audiomechanic
The tranny in that truck should be fine if you LEAVE IT ALONE. For some reason that I have no explanation for, tranny's that have never been serviced last 200K while the one's that have had regular service go 100-120 and then die. Makes no sense to me but seems to be true.
Better stick to speakers and radios there audio mechanic.

What audiomechanic posted above is BAD advice.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:21 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
monte, are you ready to go into the business of rebuilt transmissions... there's opportunity here.....
Im already in the business of rebuilding transmissions. Everyone on this board is just too far away from me!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:48 PM
freightlinerdude53

Originally Posted by bigpapawack
i have been looking at a few dodge rams and like what i see, but it seems that a lot of the have rebuilt transmissions or need rebuilds. are there certain years, models, or engines where dodge made a junk transmission? whats the life span of these transmissions. i was looking at this 1998 ram 1500 5.9l with 89k miles.

look for a manual all automatics up to 2005 i think it was had problems

Old 12-10-2008, 06:58 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

Originally Posted by MonteC
Better stick to speakers and radios there audio mechanic.

What audiomechanic posted above is BAD advice.
Just going based on what people have told me. Typically, the people who keep up good maintenance (which I still believe should be done) on their tranny's, end up needing them sooner than those that just leave them alone. Like I said, can't explain it.

If you work on tranny's you are more qualified to offer advice than me. I will kindly take my place out of this thread.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by audiomechanic
Just going based on what people have told me. Typically, the people who keep up good maintenance (which I still believe should be done) on their tranny's, end up needing them sooner than those that just leave them alone. Like I said, can't explain it.

If you work on tranny's you are more qualified to offer advice than me. I will kindly take my place out of this thread.
You don't have to remove yourself from the thread... You were just misinformed, no reason to take it hard. Everyone has their own opinions of why these transmissions are so bad in their stock form... I'm sure MonteC could forget more information than I will ever learn about automatic transmissions, but my advice is to change the fluid and filter at regular intervals.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:17 PM
dodgeman22
Veteran

i never serviced my origional one and it lasted 305000 kms

Quick Reply: dodge ram transmissions