2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

backwards jumper cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:48 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be lucky that you did not fry the PCM...

Old 01-16-2009, 05:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dillonjm
This is actually a pretty good tip regarding the ground connection on the jumped vehicle. You risk an explosion connecting directly to the battery (although i have never actually seen it happen, its better to play it safe).

Not only that, but it safeguards the the electrical system in the vehicle that is doing the jumping when the jumpee starts the vehicle.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:59 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
First of all, jumper cables have to be connected properly:

Source vehicle:
Red - Positive Post
Black - Negative Post
In my manual, it says to connect the Pos cable to the alternator on the jumper truck.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
In my manual, it says to connect the Pos cable to the alternator on the jumper truck.

That's fine, so long as it is NOT connected with +/- to -/+ or any other battery-to-battery method.

If you want to get technical, imagine you're jump starting a vehicle that has *Positive Ground* (ie. an old Ford). What do you do?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Umm! Ask for quarters? LOL

Old 01-17-2009, 05:18 PM
EricCartman
Veteran

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
NEVER DIRECTLY CONNECT THE BATTERIES
Not saying you are wrong, but I have never unstood why this is supposed to be the way you hook this up. The only reason I can think of... is that usually the negative cable is the last cable you hook up, and it will spark when connected. If it were over the battery - and there was hydrogen leaking out of it, yeah... I can see an explosion. But hydrogen is only generated when the battery is charging... and if the battery is dead - I don't see that happening. Yes, the battery charges after the cable is connected, but that happens after the spark from connecting the cable.

Cartman

Old 01-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EricCartman
Not saying you are wrong, but I have never unstood why this is supposed to be the way you hook this up. The only reason I can think of... is that usually the negative cable is the last cable you hook up, and it will spark when connected. If it were over the battery - and there was hydrogen leaking out of it, yeah... I can see an explosion. But hydrogen is only generated when the battery is charging... and if the battery is dead - I don't see that happening. Yes, the battery charges after the cable is connected, but that happens after the spark from connecting the cable.

Cartman
OK, here's the deal. The battery has to crank out enough amps to turn the starter, and once the vehicle fires up, the alternator takes over. By connecting battery to battery you introduce the opportunity for venting Hydrogen to explode. I know a guy who used to roll his eyes at wearing safety goggles when working around batteries until he jumped a vehicle whereupon the battery DID explode. Why? Connecting the negative lead sparked and BOOM.

By connecting the charging vehicle in the manner prescribed a charging circuit is being created and completed in the proper manner.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:00 PM
APA228
Professional

Just to put my oar in the water here, when the jumper cables are disconnected from the battery a spark can also be generated, not just when the connection is made prior to starting the engine. Hydrogen can be present at this point and can ignite/explode at that time. Why take a chance with your health or eyesight when it is just as easy and a lot safer going one lead to the battery and the other to the block? Just always remove the one on the block first because it will still be able to draw a spark at the battery.

Quick Reply: backwards jumper cables