2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE DIY Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram2K1
I assumed by their answer that you would just have to know what all parts are bad by looking at them and go ahead and buy all those as well...but I can get a Viper tranny from them for my truck for $2399 without sending in the old one, which I assume would take it down around $2K or lower with mine as a core...not bad.
No kidding. I would seriously consider sending my transmission and getting one of theirs.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, sorry gobbell1 for taking off on the thread jack...didn't really mean to.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:52 PM
99blueram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gobbell1, I myself rebuit my 99 46re and it was not that big of a job as i thought it was going to be. I did mine on gravel drive but made it. Put Jr shift kit with Amsoil fliud and am very happy. Had to replace front band and sun gear items but all else good. Made my own tool to compress od pack with that 850 pound spring worked great. Listen to all the guys from this forum and they will steer you right. I have logged much reading and saving from here and it has paid off. Just wanna say a BIG thanks to all who have taken the time to write all the information they find. Again thanks. Good Luck Gobbell1.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:58 PM
gobbell1
Professional

Update:

I finally got to the culprit that took down my tranny. The overrunning clutch assembly in the overdrive unit had disenegrated! All that was left was the needle bearing and some melting plastic.

The 800 pound spring was no big deal.

Now on to the valve body...

I want to create a full writeup and post it as a document. Does anyone know who I need to contact on this forum to get permission to post something like that?

Old 03-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Gary-L
Legend

All you need to do is write up everything, post mass numbers of pictures, and then drop a note to Silver_Dodge, one of the Second Gen Mods. He'll post a link to this thread in the DIY sticky.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:00 PM
gobbell1
Professional

GREAT NEWS...the tranny is running fine!

I removed it on 3/13/09 and reinstalled it on 4/10/09. So roughly a month of studying, learning, teardown, replacing etc...

All in all, it was an enjoyable project. Since I was not pressed for time, I could mess with it at my leisure.

The root cause of the 46RE failure was the overunning clutch assembly (sprag) in the overdrive section. It had completely melted away. During the rebuild, I installed all new frictions, steels, seals, overrunning clutch assembly and one-way clutch assembly, torque converter and transgo jr kit.

I am creating a "self help" tutorial with about 100 pictures so the next guy can do his on 46RE rebuild.

At the end of the day I saved $1, 300!!!!!!

Last edited by gobbell1; 04-13-2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Acapalic
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it better be a good tutorial! haha. My tranny is slipping a little between the 1-2 shift , Could be my band adjustment , but today when i was backing it up in the driveway , i heard some nasty sounds coming from that sucker. Hopefully she`ll stay in one peice because im saving for a new truck , and i plan on compeltly dissaembling and reassembling the truck.

Looking foward for the Tutorial.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Awesome.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Marksman

Originally Posted by gobbell1
GREAT NEWS...the tranny is running fine!

I am creating a "self help" tutorial with about 100 pictures so the next guy can do his on 46RE rebuild.

At the end of the day I saved $1, 300!!!!!!
I'm impressed! Have you ever done an automatic? I'm a pretty good wrench but have been a bit intimidated by the automatics.

My 1996 trans seems to be dead. I have a thread going looking for an action plan that nobody was responded to.

You have inspired me. My truck is rarely used so I just might dig into the trans and see what I find. I look forward to your writeup.

Thanks
Rick

Old 04-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by Marksman
I'm impressed! Have you ever done an automatic? I'm a pretty good wrench but have been a bit intimidated by the automatics.

My 1996 trans seems to be dead. I have a thread going looking for an action plan that nobody was responded to.

You have inspired me. My truck is rarely used so I just might dig into the trans and see what I find. I look forward to your writeup.

Thanks
Rick
I knew a guy once who always bragged what a bad-*** mechanic he was, yet front wheel drive cars scared him like a little school girl. I completely went through a Mazda Protege I owned through sheer determination and learned it wasn't that bad. So, my point is not to be intimidated. From what I've been told, when it comes to automatics, have a CLEAN workspace and keep everything oiled.

Quick Reply: 46RE DIY Rebuild