2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 dodge ram starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 04:59 PM
deweysdodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2001 dodge ram starting problems

Fuel pressure was approximately 48psi and bled done below 20 psi within a half hour my thinking is fuel injector leaking into plenum[:@]

Old 03-31-2005, 05:11 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

you probably do have leaky fuel injectors, get some BG 44k fuel injector cleaner, run your tank down close to empty and pour it in, then fill up with about 5~8 gal of fuel, then drive until it's almost gone before adding any. this will give it a good concentate of the cleaner and hopefully speed up the cleaning.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:31 AM
deweysdodge

Well its finally fixedq, After talking with a mechanic friend he said to check the injectors pulled all of them left them connected to fuel rail, pressurized the system watched for ten minutes or so and sure enought the number 4 injector started to leak swapped it out and she runs and starts like a champ. Yeah!!!!! hopefully nothing else for a bit.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:33 PM
wyomingwelder
Default hey this may fix it i had a similar problem with a power wagon

Originally Posted by deweysdodge
Here we go, I have a 2001 ram 1500 4x4 5.2l the truck has 53k i changed plugs wires cap and rotor over the last summer lately i have been having a strange problem that i am looking for advice on. When the truck is cold it starts fine if i drive for 10-15 minutes and shut it off it starts right up fine, if I let the truck sit for like a half hour it cranks and cranks before she fires up and it seems like the computer is dumping more fuel to compensate. I tried to buy good tune up parts MSD wires, champion truck plugs, napa brass cap. My thinking is that when the truck sits after been warm the cap is condensating?

Any help or ideas would be cool
when the fuel lines heat up they expand and are sucking air as they cool they contract try replacing fuel lines

Old 11-18-2014, 11:42 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good to hear its fixed. i had a problem i was chasing with an engine POP under load, you could even hear a slight pop at idle, i started unplugging injectors one by one with it running till i found the one that made the idle smooth again, drove it on 7 injectors and not one pop. i pulled them all and hooked a couple wire leads to them from the battery so i could get them to open and close when i touched it, and did this at the same time i was holding the injector down on top of a can of cleaner without the nozzle on it so when i pressed the injector down it would try and shoot the cleaner into it and then it would open when i touched the contacts with the wires from the battery. i cleaned them all and found one injector (the one that was being suspected) wasn't closing all the way when i took the lead off. so i cleaned the crap out of it and it started working as it should had, be fine ever since. its the little things that cause the big problems sometimes.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:41 PM
bogwan09

Originally Posted by deweysdodge
Here we go, I have a 2001 ram 1500 4x4 5.2l the truck has 53k i changed plugs wires cap and rotor over the last summer lately i have been having a strange problem that i am looking for advice on. When the truck is cold it starts fine if i drive for 10-15 minutes and shut it off it starts right up fine, if I let the truck sit for like a half hour it cranks and cranks before she fires up and it seems like the computer is dumping more fuel to compensate. I tried to buy good tune up parts MSD wires, champion truck plugs, napa brass cap. My thinking is that when the truck sits after been warm the cap is condensating?

Any help or ideas would be cool
I had a similar problem. Sometimes my 2001 RAM 1500 would stall just driving around and not start again. Believe it or not, it turned out to be the coolant temperature sensor!

If the sensor or wiring is intermittent or defective, the computer reads it as -40 degrees F. When this happens, it chokes off the air and dumps fuel to get the engine lit. Of course, it was not -40 degrees F but if the computer sees this low temperature when driving (like an intermittent connector) the motor will just die where it is.

I chased my tail for weeks. put in a new CAM sensor, crank sensor and even disconnected the manifolds from the CAT thinking it was plugged. My coolant temp sensor connector was bad, so I swapped it out and the truck runs so smooth you can barely tell it is running at idle. Who woulda thunk a coolant temp sensor would leave someone stranded but that's what happened.

Quick Reply: 2001 dodge ram starting problems