2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leaking Mega Viper

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Rockyhigh360
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Mega Viper

So I finaly got my diffs done and thrown back under the truck (Biggest pain in my a$$ setting up those gears). I just installed the Mega Viper trans when I snapped my ring gear, so I put maybe 20 miles on this trans.

Well, after putting some more miles on it breaking in the ring and pinions, I noticed ATF dripping off the bellhousing were the Flexplate-cover bolts to it. It looks as though either my output shaft seal is leaking or the T.C. is not set all the way back. I am wondering if I need to shim the T.C. off of the flexplate to seal it back father in? Maybe some washers were the T.C. bolts to the flexplate.

Tried calling the manufacture, but they are out till tuesday.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Rockyhigh360
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I shimmed the T.C. back off the flexplate with two washers for each bolt. Weighed each pair of 1/4-20 flat washers so the matched, then slid them between the flex plate and T.C. giving me roughly 3/16" of clearance instead of the previous 3/8".

Took it for a test drive, and immediatly noticed the difference! Instead of my new Trans shifting into O.D. @ 65 mph and downshifting really hard automatically, It shifted smoothly @ 55 and glides firmly into gear like a dream! Very impressed with this Trans.

Now with my 4.56s repaired and new properly shifting trans, I cruise down the road with my 33's going 65mph @ 2200 rpm and 75mph @ 3000 rpm. Havn't had the chance to really get into it off the line again as I need to break in these new gears for about 500 miles. As for the leak, It is gone from what I can see.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you fixed it!

Quick Reply: Leaking Mega Viper