Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission service and band adjustment

Old 08-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Professional

Vehicle: 99 dodge 2500 4x4
Default Transmission service and band adjustment

Yip I am still new to dodge. The guy that i bought my truck from has overtorqued the trans pan gasket, and I hate leaks. Gonna drop the pan fro a fluid filter adn gasket change, I am wedling in a drain plug while I am there so i can drain the pan for future work instead fo wearing the fluid. Anyhow is ther a good reference for adjusting the bands, I have never messed with transmission besides chevys so bands and such are new to me. I know to use ATF+4 fluid adn to loosen the valve body bolts to drain some extra trapped fluids.

Anyhow anyone have a good how to on adjusting the bands? Amything else i should do while I am in there. Been reading up on thei check valve removal. Might get it done while I am there if I can find a good write up on it.

Thanks in advance.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 08-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Veteran

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 5.9L V8

If you do a search through the forum you will find plenty of write ups on how to adjust the bands. I believe there is even a link in the DIY forum page too. If the previous owner overtorqued the trans pan then it may have warped the bolt holes and you may still get leaks afterwards. You may want to consider replacing the pan if it is too bad. A new pan runs for like 50-60 I think.

Good Luck.

Oh yeah, you can also find a write up on the check valve removal too... I think Aim4Squirrels did that one.

Caution: Don't fall asleep and hit signs! They don't like fast moving trucks!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 1996 1500 SLT

Welding the plugs nut in place is fine if you have the welder off hand, but there really is no need to do it.

What symptoms are you experiencing that you feel adjusting the bands may help ?
That is generally something that you don't do just for the heck of it, you stand to do more harm than any good if you are not super careful.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Legend

Vehicle: 2005 Silverado LT 4x4 Crew Cab 5.3
@nate_kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray99 View Post
Welding the plugs nut in place is fine if you have the welder off hand, but there really is no need to do it.

What symptoms are you experiencing that you feel adjusting the bands may help ?
That is generally something that you don't do just for the heck of it, you stand to do more harm than any good if you are not super careful.
I speak from experence that 2nd paragraph is true! If you want to see, search my threads!
You cant weld the drain plug into your pan because the pan is steel and the plug is aluminum. Just use plenty of black silicone and you will be golden. If you also plan to remove your check valve, search my threads because I did a DIY on removing the check valve and putting in an external filter. Tighten the tranny pan bolts to 150 inch pounds.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:11 PM

Tags
1500, 2500, 98, 99, adjustment, avenger, band, bands, check, dodge, ram, removal, transmission, valve, van