2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Line failure - 1996 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:32 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TIMIDONE
Could bad brake lines be the issue if my braked seem to get "loose" when they get hot and are used a lot? I replaced the pads and rotors but when I hunt they get loose going downhill for a while.

Yes, I gear down but by the end I almost have to drop them all the way down to stop! When they cool they are just fine. A friend mentioned the brake line. I do loose SOME fluid but not that much. I just top it off when it gets low.

the fluid loss could be a leaking wheel cylender. but the looseness of the brakes after alot of use, is normal, its called brake fade, when it heats up and stays hot (i.e riding the brakes down a hill...etc), the pad material starts to melt, similar to a clutch when you ride the pedal,or handle.

i personally dont know of anything you can upgrade to, to lessen brake fade, out side of not riding them as much, or as along.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 PM
MikeEast
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy does this all sound familiar!

I lost a brake line while on vacation camping in Branson - First time ever had -that- happen too.

One theory I have is that the inside of one or more brake lines have rusted enough to creat 'debris' that piles up and blocks flow - leading to overpressure of a previous weak spot in the end. In my case, I had decent pedal, it just didn't seem to actually 'do' anything.

and yup, 96 Ram Van 2500 Mark III 3.9L with 121K...

Mike

The following users liked this post:
khnitz (12-08-2023)
Old 10-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TIMIDONE
Could bad brake lines be the issue if my braked seem to get "loose" when they get hot and are used a lot? I replaced the pads and rotors but when I hunt they get loose going downhill for a while.

Yes, I gear down but by the end I almost have to drop them all the way down to stop! When they cool they are just fine. A friend mentioned the brake line. I do loose SOME fluid but not that much. I just top it off when it gets low.

Tim, you could be experiencing "boil out". If you re getting the brakes that hot, it could be boiling the fluid out, like overheating a radiator. A way to combat that is to up the DOT number of the brake fluid. The higher the DOT number the higher the boiling point. I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH, do not mix different numbers. Its a PITA, but you have to flush out all the old brake fluid first. Foe example, we run Wilwood brake fluid in the race cars it has a boiling point of 600 degrees, and costly 13.00 a pint.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:04 AM
TIMIDONE
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea...I think all mentioned above is probably all part of it! I hate the size of our discs! But instead of first going down that path I think I will replace my lines with stainless steel and run dot4 to see if that makes it work.

Only happens on hot hot days and braking downhill during hunting season...I shift down but can only do so much with an automatic.

Oh the funs and joys!

Quick Reply: Brake Line failure - 1996 Ram 1500