Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dropping valve body

Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 1996 1500 SLT

Thanx A4S - You been holding my hand so much on this, you must be getting blisters !
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Legend

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

LOL, I don't hold guys hands, homo.

I remember what a PITA this was the first time did it.

Don't forget to sneak a peek at those accumulator springs over on the passenger side. According to several folks, there were different combos and locations of the springs on that thing between years.

Also, if you end up pulling the parking sprag out to far, guide it into the channel closest to the driver's side. You should be able to work the rooster comb by hand, just remember where the neutral detent ball position is.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 10-27-2009 at 07:39 AM..
Old 10-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Banned

Don't worry, my hands are nice n soft from all the tranny fluid !

Anyways I made some progress today, got the crusted linkage off and the neutral switch out.
Now its very lose, I got 2 bolts half way in holding it up, but it feels like its still snagging something on the drivers side.
I never did loosen that 9/16th nut or removed the "guidpost" - Think that might be it ?

I will be shocked if this thing works when I get it back together.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Legend

Nah that linkage bolt shouldn't be it. Perhaps the parking sprag is offering a bit of resistance, or the governor sensor isn't sliding through as easily as you'd like.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:27 AM
Champion

Vehicle: 1997 dodge ram 1500 5.2L 4x2

Hey xray99, what symptoms are you trying to fix by replacing the converter clutch solenoid?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:48 AM
Banned

Not replacing any solenoids.
My only reason for doing this is replacing the small internal solenoid harness, the valve body has got to drop to do that.
Would have been easy enough to design a harness which could be replaced in a minute but no, major disassembly is required for this simple harness replacement.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Champion

Vehicle: 1997 dodge ram 1500 5.2L 4x2

Yeah, definitely hear you on that! I need to replace the C C Solenoid. Thats why I asked. I've been practicing at the bone yard and FRICKING A that thing is annoying!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Banned

Finally dropped it, it was hanging up on the upper connector fitting, had to twist it and apply downwards pressure and it popped out.
Clip sucked, I think I destroyed it.
Only thing that popped out was a white cylinder with O rings ,,, Is going to be interesting getting it back in.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Legend

that white cylinder with o rings is your accumulator piston. and you have to do a damn balancing act to get it in.

I think I dropped those springs about 20 times before I finally got it in. There was much swearing involved.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Banned

Heres an update, still haven't got that damn thing in yet. By the time I get home from work its dark n cold, and I can't motivate myself to do it.
Weekends supposed to be nice, its now or never.

Anyways, I went to this local tranny shop to get one of those clips, I destroyed the original getting it off, and didn't want to risk using the wrong sized clip.
I figured they'd have a box full, and showed him on a valve body what I needed.
Didn't have any handy, but the guy said he'd give me the one on his valve body, mighty righteous of him.

Let me digress a bit. When I was first trying to take out the harness, I thought it could be done without dropping the valve body. I was looking for a way to access the top connector, and there is a cover plate right under it with 4 screws, so I took the plate off and a little metal cylinder with a spring it in drops out.
Well that didn't do any good, no access, I should have put it right back in but I set it aside, with the words, "remember, springs down".

So 2 weeks go by, I'm getting ready to put the VB back in, and I'm thinking "springs down ,,, Right ? Yup, that was it. Or was it springs up" ? Damn, I forgot which way it goes, so I figured I'd ask the trans guy while I get the clip.

I brought the little cylinder with the spring inside, and asked him which way it goes.
He says, don't know ,,, Where does it go ?
I said, right behind this plate here, so he unscrews it to see.
Sure enough, it was spring down ,,, But as it turns out, my spring was busted in 2.
The spring he took out of his almost touches the metal cover plate, mine was doubled, and was completely contained in the cylinder.
He said damn, that looks like a problem, another guy there said he sees these springs busted quite often.
So the guy hands me the good spring, now I'm all set - And it was just a matter of chance that I ever found out about it in the first place, because it wasn't necessary to take off, and if I remembered for sure which way it went in, I never would have taken it to the trans guy, I would have put it back in, busted spring and all, nad never been none the wiser.

1st pic below shoes the metal cylinder with the new spring - The one that was in there wouldn't have even showed, it was all within the cylinder.
2nd pics shows it in place, without the cover plate on.

Anyone know what the function of this thing is, and what negative affects you could expect with a busted spring ?
I should have asked the tranny guys while I was there.

One good thing is its simple to access, once the pan is off. Just a matter of 4 hex screws - I'd have to recommend that people check these when they change filters, ect.

Last edited by xray99; 11-06-2009 at 11:13 PM..
Old 11-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Legend

3-4 accumulator piston and spring, I believe.

That's one of the replacement parts in the sure cure kit, so I'm sure it is a rather common breakage occurrence.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Grand Champion

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2
Send a message via AIM to Sheriff420

the transmission guy i went to said that he replaces the accumulator springs whether they're busted or not because the OEM springs are junk and break often. mine was broken when i got the rebuild.

another guy i went to said that mine was busted when i described my symptoms without even looking at the truck, about all that shop works on is dodge rams and dakotas.
when my accumulator spring was busted it would buck like a bull every time the transmission went to shift from 1st to 2nd unless i floored it. and when the truck shifted into 4th it would feel like it plopped into gear, like the bands weren't grabbing at all.
i also had a gummed up governor pressure solenoid, bad rear sprag and he said that the rear band was digging into the drum worse than he has ever seen. i think something else in there was busted too but i can't remember.

Airgap. HS 1.7s. 50mm DIY TB. SC 3815. 14x2. 4.10 Yukons. Detroit Truetrac-both axles. Front hitch. Rear hitch lights with skid plates. 4 100w off road lights in brush guard. 2 55w lights in front bumper. Westin brush guard/nerf bars. 33" Treadwrights.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Banned

Hmm, well I don't know how long mine was busted, but I've had some long standing tranny issues, I look forward to seeing if this helps any [if I ever get around to putting it back together again].
Beautiful day, sunny, almost 70 degrees out, I already have myself talked out of doing it today.
Tomorrow, for sure !
I think I'm gonna rig up a board on a floor jack, that way I can keep it in place while I get that damn clip on, then bolt it in.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Grand Champion

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2
Send a message via AIM to Sheriff420

why don't you get one of your kids to help you out, eliminate the need for a jack and get some quality bonding time in.

Airgap. HS 1.7s. 50mm DIY TB. SC 3815. 14x2. 4.10 Yukons. Detroit Truetrac-both axles. Front hitch. Rear hitch lights with skid plates. 4 100w off road lights in brush guard. 2 55w lights in front bumper. Westin brush guard/nerf bars. 33" Treadwrights.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Banned

I got girls Sheriff, ain't gonna force em to get their dainty little fingers greasy, on their backs, under a truck.
If I was forced to I would, but thats just not a girly thing to do.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Banned

Well, got my hillbilly hoist all rigged up and ready to go - Going to go at it first thing in the morning !
,,, Or, afternoon ! Early evening maybe ? Yeah, thats it.

Last edited by xray99; 11-08-2009 at 02:29 AM..
Old 11-08-2009, 02:27 AM
Banned

Ok hold on a second.

Aim, you said"
Quote:
As you lower the valve body down, the accumulator piston and 2 large springs will undoubtedly fall out from the passenger side. The fat spring sets on the VB then the accumulator piston sits inside it and the skinny long spring sits inside the accumulator piston on top. It’s really obvious where it goes back into the transmission housing.
When I took this off, the piston sure did come out, but no springs.
There are supposed to be 2 lose springs ?
The one probably either went flying out and I didn't see it, or is still stuck up in the port.
I have no idea about the other one ... ??
Old 11-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Banned

Hate to be a PITA, but if someone could verify that the white cylinder with O rings is supposed to have 2 springs, I'd appreciate it
Old 11-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Legend

There is definitely one spring. Some years had 2, others I've heard that folks found only one. Not sure when the year changed on that, but you will definitely need them. I'd talk with your tranny guys. Mine were pretty substantial in size. One was short and fat maybe 2 inches tall by 2 inches wide, and fit right around the fatter side "****" of the accumulator piston, the other taller and skinny 3-4 inches tall and fit inside the "****" on other side of the accumulator piston.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Banned

Yeah, I sure enough found the fat one under my truck, had to rake a pile of leafs away to find it.
Smaller one no where in sight, gonna look again tomorrow, if no joy then I'll see if I can find out if I even had one in the 1st place.

Glad I decided to give your DIY one more look through, I was just about ready to bolt it up, minus spring[s].
Old 11-08-2009, 07:32 PM