2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My temp keeps going up and down up and down?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 02:03 PM
nathangfnd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My temp keeps going up and down up and down?????

Last night i installed my hughes FI intake manifold and i have no leeks from hoses or fittings and no vacuum leeks so seems that all gaskets worked and all.

But now as im driving down the road the temp will keep going up and up and up and then when at about 250 degrees it will drop down to around 210.
it keeps doing this at all times. I thought at first it would be the thermostat but why would it send coolant through if it wasnt kicking in.

I got the 180 degree stat from hughes when i ordered the intake manifold so it should kick off.

Also now it seems my battery or alternator wont build up amps. it stays at like 10 amps when it stayed at 14 yesterday.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:16 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

forgot to say that all fluids are back to normal also. ive run it long enough to where all components have anti freeze and coolant. The bottle on the side stays perfectly at full level.

Is it possible there could be pocket of air in the lines and would it be bad and if so how to get it out

Old 11-28-2009, 03:33 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

well i think that its good now. It may have been the computer learning the new stat but i am not sure what it was. I let it cool all the way down and i took it for another drive and it stays down.

The temp gauge now runs at 150ish which is what the new intake manifold is supposed to do which is run 30 degrees cooler.

Maybe it was just mad at me cuz i took it for a drive after the install and i gave it some gas on a street and i blew a radiator hose out of its connector and it went all over and my word did it ever smoke. Nice thing was is that i was right in front of a auto parts store and i pulled in right away and fixed the problem

Old 11-28-2009, 04:10 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

the thermostat has a jiggler valve, i found the thermo works best if that valve is facing the manifold.

Quick Reply: My temp keeps going up and down up and down?????