Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no power to coil??

Old 02-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Professional

Vehicle: 96 dodge ram 1500 4x4

haha ya whatever floats my boat lol
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 1994 Ram 1500 4x4 5.2, 3inch rear blocks, 3inch suspenion lift in front.
Send a message via Yahoo to yakkier

Ok i was hesitating suggesting this because most people will tell you that im full of **** but i actually hydro locked my jimmy once when my spider injector got stuck open and kept flooding the engine as soon as you turned the key on. after i got the injector fixed i took all the plugs out, spun over the engine a couple short burst's and blew out all the gas.

it will get EVERYWHERE and will smell strong as hell for a short period of time. but it worked great as soon as i put my plugs back in after whiping off all the raw gas off the engine bay and she fired right up and never had a problem outta her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF90 View Post

BUT!! now i have a new problem.. i think through all the starting attempts, i flooded the cylinders. its turning over as before, but still not igniting fully. im gettin some fuel smelling white-ish smoke through the TB after each attempt to start it now. (something is burning atleast..) and im also getting a WOP WOP sound, sorta like a plunger sound. im guesing its the cylinders compressing the fuel. but not igniting.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: 96 Dodge RAM 1500 4WD
Send a message via Yahoo to cmckenna Send a message via Skype™ to cmckenna

I guess that will work. The only concern with applying that method is risk of fire. If there's live voltage anywhere in the vehicle- including live ignition wires, that's a little risky.

I would disable the coil prior to doing that for sure along with draping clean shop rags over those open plug openings in attempt to contain the fuel.

One other note of caution is: around the plug holes, debris (sand, dirt etc) builds up around the plug holes. When the motor is being turned over, there's also vacuum at those plug holes thus allowing a potential for debris to become lodged under a valve thus chipping it, jamming it or preventing it from seating.

Prior to removing the plugs, all debris must be removed prior to doing that.

Other than that, I think that's not a bad idea at all.

I was concerned with hydro-ing. That's one of the first that came to mind with raw gas in the chamber. I hope that there was not enough gas to cause that to occur in this case.

CM
05 2500 4WD SLT Diesel / 96 Dodge Ram 1500, 4WD, Hughes FI Airgap, Edlebrock RPM heads, Sharps, Hughes T-chain set, custom -6AN Al billet fuel rails, Bosch FIs, JBA headers, JBA 3" CAT back, F&B TB, -6AN SS PTFE supply lines, Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Pulstar Plugs, Magnecor Racing 8MMs, SCT Tuned, MSD Coilpack, Volant CAI, Trutrac 4.56 gears
Old 02-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Professional

well honestly i neve seen a hydro locked motor or expierenced it. wat exactly happens. just doesnt fire or literally lock up the motor?
Old 02-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 1994 Ram 1500 4x4 5.2, 3inch rear blocks, 3inch suspenion lift in front.
Send a message via Yahoo to yakkier

basicly when a engine hydro locks you turn the key and you can hear the starter inguage but nothing happens, or it will spin over very slowly for a second then the starter will kick off again, mainly when an engine hydro lock's it fills the cyl's full of gas which "fills the open void" in the cyl's which keep the pistons from being able to move freely, thus not moving at all and locking up.

pulling the plugs and turning the engine over a couple of time's will free the engine if it is hydro locked, the spark plugs will faul out if you are locked up and when you pull them out usaully they'er going to be coverd in raw gas or smell like raw gas depending on how much gas is in the cyls

Last edited by yakkier; 02-11-2010 at 03:26 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Professional

ahh gotchia. learn sumtin new every day. thnx yak
Old 08-21-2010, 05:22 PM

Vehicle: 97 ram 1500 sport 5.9L , 90 jeep yj
Default 97 ram 1500

How do you find and disarm factory alarm
Old 08-21-2010, 05:22 PM