2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

generic part replacement brands

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 01:09 PM
skevin
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default generic part replacement brands

I have 1997 dodge Ram 1500.
alot of parts from dealer are discontinued, what are the best generic brand for electrical parts…
TPS….IAC and so on.

anyone have thoughts

Old 04-20-2023, 01:12 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

Some parts are superseded and some are discontinued - they may have changed the part number - you'll need to check with the dealer to be sure. As for alternative aftermarket sources for selected parts, you can try Standard Parts, which are available through Rock Auto and other outlets..

Old 04-20-2023, 02:15 PM
skevin
Rookie

Thanks Yea always check part number from vin number and they printed me out a build sheet.
Sometimes they just say you have to go after market as they are discontinued and dont have a replacement number or even one time had a new number but was like 6weeks

So looks like I’ll give standard a try .
I just assumed delphi or dorman just going by name brand I recognize .

thanks again!

Old 04-20-2023, 03:23 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

Dealers sell on the internet, too. In addition, sometimes folks buy closeout parts from a given dealership and sell the parts off gradually online. If you have the part number, I always recommend google searching for it to see if you can find it. Also, make sure its an OEM part your buying by asking (if that's what you're going for), as the aftermarket will cross-reference the dealer part number and sell aftermarket equivalent parts using that number.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:47 PM
skevin
Rookie

Cool thanks!!!

Old 04-20-2023, 10:22 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 122 Likes on 110 Posts

I would also suggest Standard. I'm not sure they're fantastic, but they don't seem terrible....and in today's world that actually seems to be the definition of the new fantastic.

They do offer a "T" series value line, so watch out for that. The part numbers are identical but end in T....or start in T??

Last edited by Keith_L; 04-20-2023 at 11:16 PM.

Quick Reply: generic part replacement brands