2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Ram No Check Engine light and wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:30 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Swap the ASD relay with the horn relay and see if it starts. If not, remove the pre cat o2 sensor and see what happens.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:06 PM
97RAMMAN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried switching the relays and got nothing going back out now to try the cat sensor

Old 04-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97RAMMAN
no spark or fuel it was running fine and died i replaced the fusible link and the check engine quit coming on when i the key is turned to the on position. al other lights come on oil pressure, brake ect... and the green light on the cruise contol stays on, think i may of fried computer ????? Tried the key play but no check engine light at all and mine doesn't have the digital speedo.
If you're not getting spark or fuel, and the asd relay didn't change anything, the o2 wont solve anything.

If the CEL quit coming on all together (doesnt come on when you turn the key), the bulb may be burned out. You can rent a code scanner from most auto parts stores.

I'm thinkin it could be a crank/cam position sensor, or a bad ground somewhere important.

As for eliminating the "bad computer" part. Do the gauges jump when you try to start it? Does the fuel gauge read correctly when the key is in the "on" position? If yes to one or both, your 'puter is fine.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:35 PM
97RAMMAN

Put a computer in and now when I get fire but no fuel. When i do the key trick now the gas light flashes at the end. Im bout at witts end . Any ideas to try before I drop another $200 on a pump just spent a $250 on the computer. Thanks to everybody for the info and help so far, I'd bout givin up on it till I found this site.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 PM
97RAMMAN

Put a computer in and now I get fire but no fuel. When i do the key trick now the gas light flashes at the end. Im bout at witts end . Any ideas to try before I drop another $200 on a pump just spent a $250 on the computer. Thanks to everybody for the info and help so far, I'd bout givin up on it till I found this site.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Hjhf1500
Amateur

Swap out the fuel pump relay with the horn relay or A/C relay,maybe the relay shorted and blew the fuse link and fried the computer,the signal terminal from the computer could have shorted to the hot terminal in the relay and shorted it,if the relay checks good do a continuity test on the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: 97 Ram No Check Engine light and wont start