2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

pissed at Les Schwab

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pissed at Les Schwab

Last summer I took my truck into Les Schwab and I told them it was wondering all over the road, and to completely go thru the suspension and steering and give me an estimate on what is needed to be replaced.

They replaced the brakes pads front and rear, front calipers, all the shocks, front sway bar end links, track bar, a couple of u-joints in the front end.

This made a huge improvement in the steering, but it still wondered a little going down the road. This truck is a project and is hardly driven right now, so I didn`t worry about steering still having issues then. So today I decided to climb under the truck while some one turned the wheel to see id I could find the problem, and I did. The tie rod ends are shot. Im not a mechanic at all, but I had no problem finding that the tie rod ends are shot. I just don`t understand how they missed something so obvious ?.

Before anyone asks, I live in a small far town, so Les Schwab is my only choice for tires and suspension work with out having to drive 80 miles to the next town.

I have also checked my steering box, and its still tight with no play in the shafts. I also checked the bottom bushing in the steering column and there is no play in it either, and I was surprised because the truck has 167.000 miles on it.

I did buy a steering gear box stabilizer brace, I figured it would help improve the steering a little also.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

How have you decided that the tie rod ends are shot? What is the tie rod doing to make you say this?

Old 03-09-2014, 10:35 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At that mileage I would expect ball joints too, unless already done. Jack the front end up and use a big bar under the front tires to check movement. At least you didn't pay for something you didn't get.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:08 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
How have you decided that the tie rod ends are shot? What is the tie rod doing to make you say this?

The rubber boots over the tie rods are shot, and you can visually see the play in the joint it self when the wheel is turned from one side to the other.

This summer im going to have the ball joints and tie rods replaced.

Quick Reply: pissed at Les Schwab