2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performance Chip

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 01:01 AM
matrhorn
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Chip

So I am thinking about buying a performance chip for my truck. Problem is when I try to find one online they just seem too good to be true. You got a lot sites trying to sell these chips that will supposedly add 50-80 horsepower and add 4mpg all for 60 bucks. Then you have a couple of other sites that seem a bit more legit but I'm unsure of cause they claim to gain you up to 25 horses and its supposedly all a matter of plug and play and 250 dollars.

My question for all of you is this. Are performance chips worth it (assuming you buy from a legit dealer)? If they are worth it how much power do they really typically add and where is a legit site I can buy one?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:22 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

The chips for $60 bucks are a sham and the ones for $250 are more true but aren't really worth it either. You're better off to get a SCT tuner from someone like Hemifever. This will reprogram your PCM which will really work plus get rid of your death flash and other factory junk that isn't needed or doing your truck any good.

Read this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...questions.html

Last edited by Wildman4x4nut; 10-21-2014 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:13 AM
matrhorn
Amateur

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
The chips for $60 bucks are a sham and the ones for $250 are more true but aren't really worth it either. You're better off to get a SCT tuner from someone like Hemifever. This will reprogram your PCM which will really work plus get rid of your death flash and other factory junk that isn't needed or doing your truck any good.

Read this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...questions.html
Never even considered the tuner kits before. I've never used one before though or know much about them. I'm assuming an SCT Tuner basically accomplishes the same thing as having a shop tune your truck for you? Also having never used one before how easy is it to use for a first time user? Is it pretty straight forward or should I just let someone who knows what they are doing do it?

Old 10-21-2014, 08:53 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by matrhorn
Never even considered the tuner kits before. I've never used one before though or know much about them. I'm assuming an SCT Tuner basically accomplishes the same thing as having a shop tune your truck for you? Also having never used one before how easy is it to use for a first time user? Is it pretty straight forward or should I just let someone who knows what they are doing do it?
Do a little searching around. There are tons of threads on tuners.

Here's a good one to start:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...22-tuners.html

and:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...questions.html

Last edited by jkeaton; 10-21-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by matrhorn
You plug the tuner into your data port in the truck. It is also where you hook up a trouble code reader. Then read the screen and follow the prompts. I will talk you thru the whole procedure. Easy peasy. All you are doing is installing the tune onto your PCM instead of putting one of those tuners inline with it. It is really the better way to go.
Yes a tuner does what a shop would do for you. Since you are stock your receive 3 tunes on the tuner and you pick which one you want to use. You install it and when done unplug the tuner. If at any time you add performance parts to your truck you contact Hemifever and he will write you a new tune and email it to you. It costs $150 I think if you already have the tuner to get extra tunes. Any updates you need can be emailed to you and then you just install them onto the tuner. Never have to send the tuner back or anything.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:01 PM
djbucky3
Captain

Everytime i see a thread involving a "performance chip" i shudder a little. Search around on here to find a tuner that fits your style, then either craiglist it or ebay or buy new.. whatever.(make sure its unlocked)

Old 10-21-2014, 09:54 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

the interwebs has NO answers!!

Quick Reply: Performance Chip