2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard to Steer

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:58 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onegoodmason
Something else just occurred to me , if the "over the top" adjustment on the steering gear is set too tight , you would have the same issue at idle . I bet it's the issue . It's quite common to see people attempt this prematurely (especially in the jeep world) . Not saying you did it , but , odds are , someone did along the way . Guess what ? It also causes pump failure if too tight . That would cause the restriction issue I mentioned previously . My advice is to back the adjustment off 1/4" to start . Doesn't take much
Ok I'll take a look and see what I can fiddle with and play. Are the gearboxes common to go out? And no I have never adjusted, honestly I didn't know they could be adjusted thought it was set at the factory. Will update

Old 02-17-2015, 04:11 PM
issakar
Captain

I know it was asked once before, but how is the belt?

How many times did you go lock to lock to bleed the air out of the system? Some people have reported needing to go through 45-50 lock to lock sequences to full bleed all the air out.

If your power steering did not have this issue prior to changing the pump, I'm hesitant to see any adjustments done to the steering gearbox personally.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:35 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Originally Posted by kgilhooley31
Ok I'll take a look and see what I can fiddle with and play. Are the gearboxes common to go out? And no I have never adjusted, honestly I didn't know they could be adjusted thought it was set at the factory. Will update
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1997/19-10-97.htm

Most boxes I have seen bad leak on the lower output shaft from play . They all have play , so a brace is recommended to keep them good . I just ordered mine today . Ram one on my 07 3500 . Loved it !

If you don't think it's ever been touched , I can't say I would be surprised to know one slipped through just a little too tight . Just mark it as it sits and put it back if it doesn't help . I think it's worth a shot myself .

Old 02-19-2015, 01:18 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional

I do have output shaft seal leakage. I barely ever top off fluid. It doesn't lose much. I believe that is from the terrible play I have in my steering components. I will see about uploading a video of the linkages and how they maneuver. When it's up in the air however they do not bind at all. And all play is from pitman arm away from gear box. No play in my wheel to shaft or shaft to box or box to arm.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:26 PM
issakar
Captain

I do have output shaft seal leakage. I barely ever top off fluid. It doesn't lose much. I believe that is from the terrible play I have in my steering components. I will see about uploading a video of the linkages and how they maneuver. When it's up in the air however they do not bind at all. And all play is from pitman arm away from gear box. No play in my wheel to shaft or shaft to box or box to arm.
What parts are worn in your steering? It could be exacerbating the issue. When it's in the air those components are unloaded so that's why they're easier to move.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:05 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional

Originally Posted by issakar
What parts are worn in your steering? It could be exacerbating the issue. When it's in the air those components are unloaded so that's why they're easier to move.
That's why I need to do a vid it's hard to explain. All the rods I can rotate on the joints, but I thougt that would have to for suspension travel song the steering connecting rods. But should they be able to move by hand?

Old 02-19-2015, 03:24 PM
issakar
Captain

That's why I need to do a vid it's hard to explain. All the rods I can rotate on the joints, but I thougt that would have to for suspension travel song the steering connecting rods. But should they be able to move by hand?
if you're TWISTING them, then yes, that's normal. You don't want to see lateral or radial play. Twisting play is alright.

Here's an exploded view of a tie rod end, it's a ball in socket design. What you're looking for is any looseness in the fitment of the ball in the socket.

Hope this helps, let me know.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:37 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional

Yes only twist ply I just checked. And my track bar is brand new btw.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:40 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional

Sweet explosion tho, thanks didn't realize they had a spring in there for pressure purposes. That's cool

Old 02-19-2015, 11:04 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Given this , I would have to point more towards the box being worn . Not many leak fast but the leak is caused by excessive play on that shaft

As for checking TRE's , they need to be loaded to check them properly . "In the air" doesn't work period . Weight on the wheels , have someone motion the steering wheel from 10-2 and look at each joint with a flashlight carefully . If you see anything visually , place your hand on the joint so it doesn't pinch you with the movements , and you will feel any clunks easily .

Quick Reply: Hard to Steer