2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED Light Bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 03:21 PM
jaolson_nc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Light Bar

I'm considering adding a 24" LED flood/spot combo to the front of my 96 Ram. For those of you that have added these, how did you wire them? My preference would be to have it kick on with the highbeams, as running the light otherwise isn't probably safe for other drivers (although I could see much better).

Also, any lessons learned about where/how to install these (or where not to install these)?

Thanks,

Old 12-21-2014, 05:13 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Even coming on with your high beams would it be legal for use on the road? I'd check your local state laws before you do something like that. To me it would make more sense to have it independently wired and then you can turn it on anytime you want.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:46 AM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Even coming on with your high beams would it be legal for use on the road? I'd check your local state laws before you do something like that. To me it would make more sense to have it independently wired and then you can turn it on anytime you want.
+1 to this, makes much more sense to wire it independently.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A four post relay would be the best way to wire it so it will be pulling power straight from the battery. You could tap a high beam wire for the 85 terminal on the relay to make the lights kick on.
I like the idea of wiring them into the high beams and I've considered doing the same thing with my off road lights. I like the extra light from them but I only run them late at night because it gets annoying having to reach down and flip the switches every time a car passes by. When I do run them before 11pm I don't turn on the high beams because that's another switch to hit when a car passes.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:14 AM
jaolson_nc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've weighed both independently switched and relayed with the high beam switch and see the advantages to both approaches. Hopefully Santa will bring the light and then I can work out the details. Still trying to figure out where best to mount.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:07 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have a brush guard or bull bar?

Quick Reply: LED Light Bar