2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lost a wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 03:10 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost a wheel

Fist off I spoke about my wheel shake in a previous post but decided to write this as its a new isssue thougj related.Ok I have these 37x13.50x22s panther rims with toyos& put em on as 33s had a blown belt.As I mentioned in another post well the hub has a half inch or so of play when moving forward & back but not up or down or side to side.So I ordered the hub but 2 different shops said it should be safe to drive on.HA!
Ok so first problem was when I went to put the wheels on the lugs didnt fit in the hole so I went to buy some longer ones&a thin wall socket. They only had enough packs so that 6 lugs would be on each wheel.But I had a friend call me & tell me there local store had 6 packs also so they would get em if I could come pick em up as they don't drive.Well after trimming the fender they finally fit.My neighbor had my torque wrench so I tightened em by hand till snug& went to drive to get my torque wrench as its on my road a mile away.
So Im driving nomore bouncing or shaking but the driverside wheel came off&I rode the rotor for about 1000ft.I put a 33 back on&got here home.I noticed on that hub it felt like 2 studs were now loose when I put the old wheel&old lug nuts on there it pulled together tight.The ride home was fine &no bouncing or shaking.1 othsr5 thing is these wheels the back where the mount to the hub sit right up on it the wheels dont invert in any they stick out.Unlike how my wagon wheels on my old truck were.
So Im guessing it was a combination of not having the extra 2 per tire lug nuts &just habd tightening with a ratchet. I KNOW all this sounds like Im an idiot but in my defense I was on my way 2 get torque wrench&the extra lug nuts.So tomorrow I will torque em down&add the lug nuts till I get em should it be safe to drive till I get the new hub? Im not sure since it's that side that came off.

Click on image its a video

Old 06-15-2015, 01:21 AM
zildjian3707
Veteran

i had a similar problem, i just recently purchased 35x12.5x15s on so new pro comp rims. But dumb me put the lugs on i had on my 20 inch stock rims i took off an '03. sure enough im driving and somethings wobblin and i pulled over right away. had to get me some super long *** lugs cause my olds one were not torquing down enough and were literally unscrewing themselves as i was driving. talk about an almost bad **** up.

anyway make sure the lugs your using are appropriate for your 22s
whats the offset? and how are your new rims steel compared to the ones on ur 33s

Old 06-15-2015, 12:12 PM
schmidtp
Veteran

Have had the same thing happen on my old 96 Ram. I had a family member that was in need of a vehicle and I was at college so I loaned it to him. (Bad idea, he didn't take care of it at all, had to replace lots of the suspension up front and also trashed the interior) Anyways, took it out icefishing on winter break and luckily it happened in a 25mph zone but I started to hear a hum then what felt like a flat turned out to be my rear wheel falling off. I was able to drive the truck into a side street but saw my wheel roll right past me! I had to jump out and grab it out of the road before it hit another car.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:26 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Originally Posted by zildjian3707
i had a similar problem, i just recently purchased 35x12.5x15s on so new pro comp rims. But dumb me put the lugs on i had on my 20 inch stock rims i took off an '03. sure enough im driving and somethings wobblin and i pulled over right away. had to get me some super long *** lugs cause my olds one were not torquing down enough and were literally unscrewing themselves as i was driving. talk about an almost bad **** up.

anyway make sure the lugs your using are appropriate for your 22s
whats the offset? and how are your new rims steel compared to the ones on ur 33s
I'm sorry but what do you mean how do they steal compared to the 33s?Im not sure of the offset I will have to measure today when I try what you said chitin her boat,anyway you can see the back of the wheel were It boLts to the hub butts up against it perfect its the exact same diameter and then it slant up to the wheel about 6 inches, if that makes sense.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:55 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran

im asking if you your old rims on ur 33s were aluminum because if your new ones your using are steel rims, there going to require long lugs to tighten down far enough

Quick Reply: lost a wheel