2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:30 AM
myraus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump replacement

Well I was driving down one of our freeways yesterday when all of a sudden I lost power and my 96 1500 with a 5.2 auto wouldn't start. Got to the shoulder away from traffic, went to to box under the hood and checked fuses and switched the asd and fuel pump relays around.

I was surprised it started up and I was on my way, albeit for only about a 100 yards. Checked under the hood again but this time it was a no-go. I was dead in the water!

After a $220 tow bill I got the truck home and checked out the fuel pressure. I had a gauge on the rail, turned on the ignition, only to find no pressure at all. What's odd about this is, I've had this truck for 2 months and when I got it a Delphi fuel pump box was in the back with what looked like an old used pump unit in it. I thought I got lucky so I threw out the box and pump and went my merry way, until yesterday.

I've searched and the consensus is that Denso and Delphi pumps are the ones to be considered for fuel pump replacement, but with this happening I'm thinking different about the Delphi.

Now my big question is: seeing as I am the only person who can change out this pump (other than getting it towed to a repair shop), how involved is it to change? I have a 3 ton jack and some 6 ton jack stands, and I have seen how tall these tanks are, could it be done from underneath by dropping the tank? If I had the tools and bodies I could just take the box off, but that is out of the question right now.

Any ideas?

Old 06-17-2015, 10:02 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unbolt the bed. It's six bolts. Then jack up the corner above the gas tank.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:36 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Two nuts and drop the tank. Hardest part is trying to disconnect the fuel line working blind reaching up around the tank. Pita either way!

Old 06-17-2015, 11:10 AM
gibsilver20

If you dont have help to remove bed just drop the tank its not hard.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:17 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran

i replaced mine with an airtec pump a while, lot of people have negative feedback on them, but mine has been great

Old 06-18-2015, 07:49 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

When I did mine I dropped the tank. It was just 2 bolts to drop it.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump replacement