2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performance and oil consumption issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 10:47 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

As stated, it's almost undoubtedly the Plenum gasket. No need to pull the engine, just remove intake manifold. But again, as stated, I'd hesitate to put the money into a Hughes kit and more importantly the labor to install it without doing a compression test on the engine with that many miles first.

Hughes Plenum kit will fix the oil and power loss and should also improve mpgs slightly as you won't have to give as much throttle to accelerate. Nothings gonna really improve gas mileage a lot on a 5.9 V8, at least nothing that wouldn't cost a lot more than the savings would see. It is what it is. The engine reminds me of an A 10 Tank Killer. Big, slow and guzzle gas, but aside from the design flaw of the Plenum, you almost can't kill it. The LA 360 was basically designed in the late '60s when fuel economy wasn't even an afterthought.

As for the headlights, I've found that cheap, white, gritty toothpaste will do as much as those expensive kits. A good stiff brush and a little water. Then wax them, synthetic wax with strong uv inhibitors will keep them clear...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-26-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Whenever you do the plenum that would be ideal to do the timing chain also. Checkout lmc truck for dash parts.
http://www.lmctruck.com/dodge/

I think it's safe to say you like camo!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:47 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice truck lady.
Except the antlers. Really. Cheesy.
As far as lighting goes, look into http://www.nightriderled.com/driving...545/n1545.html

Quick Reply: Performance and oil consumption issues