2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Driveshaft U-Joint Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 07:58 PM
cjamen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Driveshaft U-Joint Question

I bought a 2000 Dodge RAM 2500 4x4 as a project truck for me and my son. Doing a lot of maintenance work that had been neglected. Anyway, the front drive shaft u-joints were rusted bad, so I decided if I'm going to replace them, I might as well replace the rear as well.

Today we pulled the rear driveshaft out and one of the u-joint caps just slides in/out of the yoke by hand, and no press/tools needed. The cap on the other end of this u-joint was pressed in. After removing the u-joint I tried out my replacement u-joint cap and it too will slide in/out completely freely.

That being said, my question is this: I'm guessing that this means I have to buy a rear driveshaft as I know the caps are supposed to be pressed in and I'm thinking that having 1 u-joint where one of it's caps can slide in/out by hand will only spell trouble for the future.

Before I buy I knew rear driveshaft, I wanted to through this situation out to the more experienced mechanics here and get their thoughts.

Thanks in advance! cal

Old 11-22-2015, 09:08 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could you just get the driveshaft repaired? Might not be much cheaper, but at least a little.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:26 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Yeah take it to a place that makes drive shafts they should be able to cut off the old yoke and weld on a new one.

Quick Reply: Rear Driveshaft U-Joint Question