2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Improper Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:30 PM
AlexInPA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Improper Voltage

The code is P1762. The truck was fine until yesterday. I had it in to Valvoline for an oil change and a transmission flush and fill. Left there, all was well. Went back to work and left there later. Now the code comes up. Checked it this morning and it was:

P1762: Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Improper Voltage

Anyone have a clue as to what might have caused this suddenly? Seems fishy considering they were mucking around with the transmission yesterday! Also, there was transmission fluid all over the engine compartment on the test/fill area. It looks like they either dumped a bunch or their hoses dribbled. Lack of care and concern about the mess leads me to wonder what else they did.

I called two dealerships. One would tell me the code info but not much more. The other insists they need to see it to look up the code. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It goes in on Thursday.

The vehicle is very sluggish to get started moving. Manually shifting seems to help some. Once in 2nd or 3rd gear it seems okay.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:11 PM
rango726
Professional
Default RE: Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Improper Voltage

i had the same prob with my truck being sluggish just like yours and manually shifting would help. the dealer told me it was my ebrake i said no.and my truck hasnt done it since they replaced the brake but if it was the brake why would shifting it manually fix the sluggishness.any ways im very interested to see what you find out as this has been bothering me because i know it will come back

Old 01-30-2007, 11:25 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mines the oposite problem, at WOT (wide open throttle) my GPS wont let me shift out of 2nd to 3rd, although the only thing that does is letting off the gas at 5300rpms or shifting from 2nd to D. This part is about 50 bucks i already looked it up, im not sure why the code would pop up unless they did something to it. Im not a tranny expert, but i do know that my GPS is going out/ is out and i need to get it replaced.

But i also have a Dakota not sure if that makes a diffrence, if you dont mind trying somthing for me... go out on a clear road or somthing and start out in 2nd and just floor it like your going to race or something and tell me if yours shifts out of 2nd fine, try it more then once to make sure.

Ive tried adjusting the TV cable, cleaning parts, intake, shiftpoints, blah blah blah, nothing works..

o and my truck isnt sluggish unless its always been bad since ive had it and i just dont know. Becuase this tranny issue has been doing this to me ever since i got it about 5 or 6 months ago.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:04 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Well, Id start out by checking the fluid level, then I'd be prepared to pull the tranny pan.
Here's my theories, and I have personal experience to back it up. When you have an oil change shop do a flush and fill, they "flush" your tranny with some kind of pressure device. Supposedly this sucks all the impurities out of your tranny so you don't have to change the filter. It's a crock.
If your shop doesn't know what its doing with regards to the cooler check valve and its function, your tech might have flushed a whole bunch of crap into the cooler, or worse, the filter and pan. This ends up in the passages of your valve body, and maybe your govenor selenoid. So instead of removing the crap, you simply had it stirred up.
Secondly, you might want to ask your shop what fluid they used. If it was anything but ATF+4, your tranny will be pretty much toast.
Still theres a chance to save it. Pull the pan, change the fluid. Remove the check valve, clean it, and flush the cooler out. Install a new filter.
The governor shift selenoid is the large round cylinder with the black connector(which is a pressure switch). Probably need to pull it out and replace it and the pressure switch. Make sure all your connectors are clean.
Let us know what you found out.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:21 PM
rango726
Professional

user ive had my am for 3 mths and the dealer has had it for 2.5 of those 3months and they currently have it again they say my shifting issues are due to the pcm? there checking to see if dodge can flash it or what has to be done. but when i get it back it will supposedly be fixed but mine wouldnt shift sometimes unless i let off the throttle also. but sometimes would. mine would act up at regular throttle not just wide open throttle.also mine was very sluggish partially due to the cracked heads and stuck valves. but at times it felt like i was trying to drive with the brakes on. and all of a suddenit would just go away.shifting the truck manually fixed this issue. but it hasnt happened in a bit.i called dodge about this problem and they told me it sounded like the gps. they also told me the trans are bomb proof and its usually sensors that act up rather than internal components. but ive got a 2500 but your symptoms are the same.oh and i would bring it back to valvoline and tell them what happened. good luck ill letyou know if my truck is better when i get it back. but i dont think it will be

Old 01-31-2007, 05:13 PM
AlexInPA

Update: Valvoline was useless. I took it to them today since I can't get to Dodge until tomorrow. I explained the problem, they looked like deer in the headlights. So, what did they do? They flushed and filled it again. My confidence in them went right down the tubes when the tech checked the fluid level while the truck was in Park. It is supposed to be in neutral. There is a big difference in fluid levels.

I will let Dodge deal with it tomorrow. If Valvoline had a part in messing this up (which I highly suspect), I will be going after them to pay the repair bill and credit the tranny service. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I know basic stuff like how to correctly check fluid levels.

Quick Reply: Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Improper Voltage