3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Another tonneau bites the dust...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 10:06 AM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG you did not just say that. That is the Dakota equivalent of suggesting that I trade in my Challenger in for a minivan.... Grrr.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

lol, was just trying to think of the right tool for carrying those expensive computers that could also haul tall items... but if you have kids, you might wanna think about that minivan

Old 07-10-2016, 11:42 AM
mcarew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Utility

Having had many different vehicles in 50 yrs. of driving, I have concluded a truck and a car meet all my needs. A car for no or limited stuff hauling. A truck 4 more stuff hauling of any size. An extended cab truck meets all my needs in the truck arena with a decent size bed. A 4 door truck gives a lot of inside stuff hauling capability but limited bed capability. A standard cab gives limited inside carrying capability, but a lot of bed hauling capability. For me the extended cab meets all requirements. Easier/quicker to cool & heat than a 4 door truck and a van. Full size extended cab truck good until you don't need the capacity. Medium size truck best of both worlds. Small truck limited capability for the investment. Dakota, extended cab, 4.7 V8, gives me all the capability I need, including towing capacity. Many people ask me about my 2010 because of the body style and limited number of these on the road. I keep it clean in/out, waxed/buffed, spray-in bed liner, bed cover. Going 2 add backup camera for trailer operations and a cab high bed cover, now that I have a 5000 lb. rated trailer, 8x12. Going to investigate the superchips to adjust the 35 mph down shifting and 1st gear lag. On my F-150 supercrew the progran allows me to select 2 options other than factory and return to factory. Hope to get the same with a new programmer/tuner. Even have gotten compliments on the B F Goodrich original tires from males and females. Never got that B 4 on any vehicle. Love the tires around town and on trips. Travel between houses in Virginia and Mississippi with and without the trailer, 1000 miles one way. 2 day trip each way.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:15 AM
msmith5150
Amateur

When I bought my previous Ram, an '01, it had an Access roll up cover installed on it. Still had the original receipt for when it was installed in the glove box. I got the truck in early 2010 and the cover had already been on it since '03, I drove it over 5 years until 2015 when I got my '03 Ram.

So that cover had been on that '01 Ram for around 12 years and the only thing wrong was the velcro on the rails wasn't holding very tight anymore, otherwise the cover itself was still in good shape. That's 12 years of Iowa winters and summers.

Needless to say 2 weeks after buying my '03 Ram it had an Access cover installed on it (easy to do myself). A year later and it is still perfect.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:42 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mcarew
Travel between houses in Virginia and Mississippi with and without the trailer, 1000 miles one way. 2 day trip each way.
That sounds like a lot of stops for gas with our little tanks.

Needless to say 2 weeks after buying my '03 Ram it had an Access cover installed on it (easy to do myself). A year later and it is still perfect.
Hows the weather protection on that? Any water getting in the bed?

Old 07-13-2016, 01:17 PM
msmith5150
Amateur

Originally Posted by Jaded

Not a bit of water gets in. I got the cover that comes with the accessories, an LED light for in the bed, a long reach pole for pulling or pushing things in or out of the bed, etc and what they call "trail seal" which is basically rubber weather seals that seal off the tail gate to the bed.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:24 AM
mcarew
Default Bed cover

My soft cover had plastic hinges to fold in 3 steps. They broke. Installed solid braces in place of hinges. Won't fold but doesn't sag in rain now. Doesn't leak, light to remove. Going to replace front clamps with struts like a fiberglass top, easy to open and pop off when needed. Aluminum frame to bolt to. Not secure but works.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:31 AM
mcarew

Originally Posted by Jaded
That sounds like a lot of stops for gas with our little tanks. Good rest periods, walk around stretch legs. My cover no leaks. After 5 trips back & forth know each stop @ 1/4 tank.

No leaks.

Quick Reply: Another tonneau bites the dust...