3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 Dakota Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 04:58 AM
RcBandit28
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dakota Review

Working at a Dodge dealer I get to check out the new vehicles before a lot of other people do. Yesterday we received our first 05 Dakota, when I first looked at the exterior I did not like it, however, after looking at it virtually all day today I started to like it. It's a Dakota Club Cab 4x4 SLT w/4.7L V8 in Black. The Chrome wheels go very nicely with the black. As I looked over the inside, I thought I was in a Durango. same steering wheel, dash and general design. Then I looked in the back seat, big finger of shame to Dodge here, Dodge liked to say we have, well HAD, the only bench seat in the back of the club cab models. Now we have replaced them w/seats very similar to what the Ranger and S10 (not sure about the Colorado/Canyon, never seen inside one of them) Extended cabs featured, and then the nasty head rests that looked like they originated in a Volvo. As a whole I was impressed with the new truck, it drove very nicely, I feel Dodge did a very good job with the new Dakota, with the exception of the back seat.
This evening we received a 2nd 05 Dakota, this one was a Quad Cab 4x2 ST (or SXT?) w/the 3.7L V6 in Patriot Blue, was even less impressed with this one from an exterior design wise. Because it was a "cheaper" model it has the plastic bumpers like the 03-04 SXTs did, the cheaper steel wheels, VERY minimal chrome accents around the truck for this package. When I looked inside I was amazed at what I saw....Crank Windows, Manual Door Locks.etc..etc..etc....BUT it had HEATED/POWER seats...odd combination.....and Yes you can now get HEATED seats with CLOTH interior which I thought was pretty cool. The rear seat of the Quad Cab seemed to be slightly roomier than the model it is replacing, which is a good thing, didn't look to sacrafice any more bed space either. The 3.7L V6 seemed pretty peppy for the truck, however if it were me I'd have to opt for the optional 4.7L H.O. V8 or just hope for a HEMI option in 2006.
Overall I think DCX did a nice job updating the Dakota, I've always been a fan of the pervious generation Dakota, but it was finally time to update from 1997 Styling. Overall I give the new Dakota a A-.

Old 09-19-2004, 11:38 PM
gpzjack
Veteran
Default RE: 2005 Dakota Review

I looked at a new dakota a few months ago and ended up with a ram. I felt the styling was getting a bit dated and that a new design would be out soon. I had hoped for improvement but god is that thing ugly. I can't get over the fact that dodge could make something as awesome looking as the rams and then come out with something as butt ugly as the durango and dakotas. I also looked at the canyon/colorado and think its another vehicle that took a big step backwards. Oh well

Old 09-20-2004, 04:26 AM
RcBandit28
Captain
Default RE: 2005 Dakota Review

Honesly gpz, I wasn't impressed with the styling of the 05 Dakota until I saw one in person. I thought the body lines and the chrome pieces on the SLT model which I described above really set the truck off nicely. Check one out in person, maybe it'll change your mind.

Quick Reply: 2005 Dakota Review