3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

4wd service light

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 10:38 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to DF and the 3rd Gen Section! As far as the mileage I would guess whatever is going on with the Front End Driveline is causing the decrease. I know from talking with a buddy of mine with the AWD he crabs all the time about the mileage being low, but not quite 7 to 10.. I would get that looked at. Sounds almost electronic. Good luck and keep us updated

Originally Posted by Frenchy
well Idk about your 4wd issue, but I really would get that mileage thing looked into...my mom has a 2001 Durango with full time AWD and hers gets almost 19mpg on the highway and like 15 in town....
I'd believe this if you could prove it All the Daks I know of get roughly 15 max mpgs, I have a buddy that bitches about it all the time when we compare mileage. SO with a Durango, I dont see it being any different.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Welcome to DF and the 3rd Gen Section! As far as the mileage I would guess whatever is going on with the Front End Driveline is causing the decrease. I know from talking with a buddy of mine with the AWD he crabs all the time about the mileage being low, but not quite 7 to 10.. I would get that looked at. Sounds almost electronic. Good luck and keep us updated

I'd believe this if you could prove it All the Daks I know of get roughly 15 max mpgs, I have a buddy that bitches about it all the time when we compare mileage. SO with a Durango, I dont see it being any different.
Do you ever believe anything I say?

Also, why the hell would I make this up?

I mean, seriously? I ride in the Durango more often than any vehicle we own... we just took the Durango to Milwaukee, from my house... it took us less than a full tank to get there... my mom's Durango has a 21 gallon tank, and dad put in 17.7 gallons of gas, to go 314.6 miles... we drove around Escanaba for about an hour while my dad was at the hospital for his therapy... so figure it out yourself, and stop doubting every effing thing I say.

Ok?

Old 01-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Q-TIP
Professional

I have to go with Frenchy on this one. My truck gets 12.5 l/100km every second day when I drive out to go into the backcountry snowboarding/snowshoeing. Quite a bit of that is through mountainous terrain on windy snowy roads. That works out to just shy of 19mpg and I'm running 265/75's on POS 3.55 gears.

BTW, I calculate based on GPS distance, and I fill up full before I leave and fill up full when I get home. Not much room for error.

Last edited by Q-TIP; 01-02-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Morangus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got a call from the Dealership this morning. Appears that the problem is the 4wd transfer case is bad. They're replacing and it should be fixed tomorrow. Cost on the part is roughly $350. Total cost including labor is going to be somewhere around $600. I'm gonna take it in after tax return and get the plugs, wires, and fuel filter replaced... I can't do much more then $600 right now. Luckily nothing is wrong with the transmission or I think I'd have to cry... *laugh*... hopefully this will be the last of my problems as this truck has been having one issue after another... things I've already replaced are the Front Differential, Transmission Filter / fluid (Filter blew out when driving), Right front wheel bearing, Both front boots (dealership screwed them up when changing the differential and covered those), water pump, and now the transfer case...

Old 01-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Morangus

I stand corrected... it's the transfer case shift motor that's bad... not the transfer case itself...

Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Q-TIP
I have to go with Frenchy on this one. My truck gets 12.5 l/100km every second day when I drive out to go into the backcountry snowboarding/snowshoeing. Quite a bit of that is through mountainous terrain on windy snowy roads. That works out to just shy of 19mpg and I'm running 265/75's on POS 3.55 gears.

BTW, I calculate based on GPS distance, and I fill up full before I leave and fill up full when I get home. Not much room for error.
You have the AWD?

Old 01-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Morangus

My first Dak was 2wd most of the time with 4wd being only when I turned it on... and with that one I got anywhere between 16.5 to 17.5mpg... with this AWD... I've always gotten around 13.6... but then again I've never dumped any fuel injector cleaner or had the fuel filter changed yet either.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:11 AM
sonhanguyen

My 2005 Dodge Durango Hemi 5.7L is having the same issue it seems. It started happening 3 weeks ago. First sign of problem was when I was pulling up into my driveway and doing my usual right hand turn into the driveway going about 5mph. My car is a 4-wheel drive and it has never been off AWD mode ... never been switched to any other drives (4Hi or 4LO). When I tried to turn into driveway, my SUV would not turn and actually stopped like brakes were engaged. I had to apply more gas than usual to get it to pull into the driveway which does not have an incline of any sorts. Then, I notice my 4LO light coming on intermittently (flashing on and off for a minute or so) when I drive on the interstate. Then, sometimes, when key is out of the ignition or when I am stopped at red light, I hear a clicking underneath of the car like it is trying to start itself. I wwnt to local Brandon Dodge dealership to diagnosis the problem and they the could not find any problems but I was due for my 65K tuneups and they said my front brakes may be the culprit because it was at 5%. I had my transmission flushed, battery corrosion tuneup done, oil change, air filter and front wheel rotated to the cost of $350+. I decided to get my brakes done at the dealership I bought my SUV at because I get my oil changed their all the time except this one time - they are GMC dealership in Brandon. They called me when they were about to put my front brakes on and they said my brakes were at 50% and that I did not need to change them out yet ... they said the problem may lie with my steering gear and with the cost of parts, labor, and steering flush, it would cost me about $800+ ... too much for me at the moment. Again, my SUV drives fine and everything is working well except when I have to make a tight slow turn left or right, and it feels like it is engaing 4LO gear but again, the switch has never been moved off the AWD ... and this happens sometimes, and not all the time. My mileage is at 74K and beyond the warranty so I will have to eat the cost of the repair but again, I have had 2 different dealerships look at my problem and 2 different answers. Would it be safe for me to assume it is transfer motor case ? and get a new one because GMC dealership would charge me only labor to replace any items I need to ... any help to what my problem is ?

Old 01-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Morangus

Have hem take a look at the "transfer case shift motor". That's what my problem was. Initially when driving on the highway my 4wd server light would come on and go off by itself after a brief period of time. It wasn't until a few weeks later that the 4lo light would flash on and off... It defiantely sounds like the same problem I was having, because there were times where it would engage in 4lo and when I turned the truck just either wouldn't move or the tires would skip like when you try and turn on dry pagement on 4lo. Let us know how you make out.

- Mo

Old 01-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Morangus

Try to find yourself a good Dodge dealership as well...

Quick Reply: 4wd service light