3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Axle/axle shafts cause vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:52 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

my vibration / shimmy was in the steering wheel = out of balance tires (new tires solved that problem) My vibration in the seat of my pants was a rear u-joint....this is all while driving. If it only does it while braking, then thats a whole nother story....(warped rotors, drums, etc). I DO have a vibration sometimes when braking at high speeds, but this is the typical brake shudder these trucks have (TSB aside). I can let off and brake again and it goes away. It only does that sometimes though.

Last edited by jkeaton; 09-19-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:20 PM
mercury89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
my vibration / shimmy was in the steering wheel = out of balance tires (new tires solved that problem) My vibration in the seat of my pants was a rear u-joint....this is all while driving. If it only does it while braking, then thats a whole nother story....(warped rotors, drums, etc). I DO have a vibration sometimes when braking at high speeds, but this is the typical brake shudder these trucks have (TSB aside). I can let off and brake again and it goes away. It only does that sometimes though.
It does not happen while braking. This is just driving, cruising at highway speeds 50-75mph is when it is most noticeable. It is mostly gone at 69-70 but strongest around 65-68. It increases frequency with speed so I know it is related to vehicle speed and not engine speed.

How intense was the vibration from your bad u-joint? Mine will rattle a tape measure in the door pocket or a full water bottle in the cup holder. I do hope it is a u-joint....that would be cheap and easy. The vibration started about 6000 miles ago (at appox. 60,000) and has progressively worsened.

Originally Posted by Eimer123
Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel?
The vibration is NOT felt in the steering wheel. Tires are brand new as of this past Friday and there was no change in the vibration between the worn Goodyears and the new tires.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

my u-joint vibration was terrible. Mostly under acceleration. Made loud squeaking and chirping noises too.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:45 PM
mercury89

my u-joint vibration was terrible. Mostly under acceleration. Made loud squeaking and chirping noises too.
Interesting, I seem to notice no change under acceleration. If I am cruising and its vibrating I can slip the truck into neutral, unloading the driveshaft, and still get the same vibration.
Also there are no squeaks or chirping.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:50 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Eimer123
Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel?
Sometimes it's in the steering wheel, sometimes the seat vibrates sometimes the whole truck vibrates.

My truck makes zero squeaking or chirping noise. Rode along the side of the truck when it was being driven from 0-60-0.

I have no clue. I am getting new tires in a couple of weeks after putting it off all summer.... I'll see if it really is the tires

Old 09-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just to jump in here with you guys, I have had the same problem for a while. I went to the dealer again recently. They kept it for 3 days, service advisor told me they swapped out my wheels and driveshaft with a vehicle on the lot and nothing changed. I'm throwing in the towel and just living with it. Maybe i'll figure it out by accident some day.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:01 PM
mercury89

Originally Posted by Jaded
Just to jump in here with you guys, I have had the same problem for a while. I went to the dealer again recently. They kept it for 3 days, service advisor told me they swapped out my wheels and driveshaft with a vehicle on the lot and nothing changed. I'm throwing in the towel and just living with it. Maybe i'll figure it out by accident some day.
I think I am going for axles, theres really nothing left in the rear end that rotates that could be causing it...

Obviously if it fixes it, I will let everyone know.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is going to be the rear brakes, specifically the Ebrake return spring.

When you get the vibration, pull over and set the Ebrake, then release it and take it for a spin.

They upgraded the shoes/spring kit/drums in 2006 (late). I bit the bullet and had the dealer replace everything when the rear was being replaced (no additional labor for me, just the friggin $200 kit).

Vibration GONE FOR GOOD (over 9 mos, no issues up until the day I traded her in).

Old 09-21-2011, 04:50 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Hmmm.... I will have to try setting the e-brake. Thanks Hammond

Old 09-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll have to look over the rear axle TSB myself. Dealer told me my axle was not the one listed in the TSB.

Quick Reply: Axle/axle shafts cause vibration?