3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front left brake caliper sticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:19 PM
igneous
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front left brake caliper sticking

This week my front left caliper has been sticking, so the brake drags a bit when I drive. It doesnt do it at first, it seems to happen after I drive a couple miles. It kind of seems like if I brake lightly it doesnt happen as often as well. Is there anything I can do to fix this? The wonderful front suspension on this vehicle(2005) is already rusting itself apart, so I assume the caliper piston needs lubrication or something. The brakes have never had any maintenance, the vehicle only has 16,000 miles.
Thanks

Old 10-06-2012, 04:50 PM
DM_kota
Professional

It is really easy how to rebuild a brake caliper there's a couple parts that you need but it doesn't cost more than about 6 dollars per side

You can look up on YouTube how to rebuild a caliper in the only difference is ours are double piston calipers

Then I would go ahead and bleed the brakes while you're at it.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:56 PM
LoCatus
Rookie

Had a Ford ranger a number of years back do this. Turned out to be moisture in the brake fluid. Drained and refilled the system, bled the brakes and all was well.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:23 PM
igneous
Amateur

Hmm yeah I have a motive power bleeder but it was for my old VW golf so I probably need a new adapter. I wonder if I should try to bleed them first, then rebuild if necessary

Old 10-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Bajabob
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just did mine last weekend and it was very easy. Good instructions are in the service manual on this site. A tip that I learned long ago was to clamp off the flex hose to limit the fluid loss and less bleeding is required. The only difficult part was slipping in the piston into the new boot and keeping it in the caliper body. The new boot has to go into the caliper first. I had a bad boot so the piston had a build up of brake dust which caused the restriction, so I used a light scotchbrite pad and some brake fluid and lightly cleaned the piston. Brakes work great now. Good luck with brakes.

Quick Reply: Front left brake caliper sticking