3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Need help identifying noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Jstickney83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help identifying noise!!!

I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota SLT

I have a squeaking noise coming from the front right side of my truck. It only squeaks when I drive or when my truck goes over bumps. It doesn't squeak when I turn my wheel though.

I think it could be my ball joint or my control arm bushing any ideas on how to pin point the problem short of taking it to an auto shop.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:23 AM
calixdakota
Professional

try buying some penetrating lubricant..in a spray can...
get under there an spray the bushings....theres a spots to hit..
may be time to replace some of them if there warn down...im no professional..but it worked for me for now for the same noises i was getting!

Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

If it's an 05 with original ball joints, I would suspect them. Squeaking is the first sign of a ball joint going bad. Put your floor jack as close to the tire as you can and jack it up. Then while using a long bar, pipe or 2x4 under the tire to lift up and down, check for movement at the ball joint. Should be absolutely none, even a smidgen of movement means it's on its way out. Top ones are easier to check. Tap with rubber mallet. If it sounds like rubber hitting solid steel, it's ok. If it's bad, you'll hear a click or tap (metal on metal) sound.

Quick Reply: Need help identifying noise!!!