3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

roof rack/rails

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 10:37 AM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default roof rack/rails

Ok. I ordered some proline permanent mount tubular black aluminum rails for roof rack applications. Needs to accommodate everything and anything (from plywood to kayaks). please discuss the pros and cons of mounting on the cab roof, topper/camper/shell roof, or get another set and install on both. I am leaning toward the truck roof. Looking for stuff that I am not thinking of. The camper shell appears to be slightly (.5-.75") taller than the cab. Obviously drilling holes in the truck/camper top and possible leakage is a drawback. they are 100$, so another set is not too big of a deal. I also bought the additional fiberglass mounting kit, but haven't decided if I will need it.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:31 PM
pyrofossil
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The half inch difference is not a big deal, when you have the rails on there it will by far make up difference, I just finished installing the roof rack tracks and cross bars on my Dak. I went with putting them on my Cab instead of the Shell, do to if I accessibility, I can step on my nerf bars, or open door and step up. I chose the Cab also due to the fact, if I want to remove my shell, I still have my roof rack to put stuff on if needed. I will also install some Lights on it later and some FU lights for the Rear.

For leaking just be very generous with the Silicone Sealant. When you drill the holes, clean them, paint them, let it dry, than add a lot of sealant inside, than add the blind rivet, apply silicone around it and inside of it. Once you get the rail installed and screwed in, go around the screw with the silicone sealant as well (solely for corrosion purposes and future removal).

Quick Reply: roof rack/rails