3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Steering won't return to center

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 03:12 PM
almartin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering won't return to center

My son's '05 Dakota Quad-Cab starting having issues two days ago. Turning either direction, it won't return to center like usual. I drove it around a little last night and it doesn't seem to grab anywhere during the turn, it just doesn't re-center.

Looked around for grease fittings to start (found one), but no noticeable results. I'd rather not start just replacing parts until it's fixed (who does?). Anyone had similar issues?

I'll get it up on jacks tonight and see if I can find out anything else to add.

Thanks.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:21 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

check:
-operation of the powersteering
-proper tire inflation
-raise the front end and turn the wheel with the engine off...it should move throught its range easily and smoothly
-alignment angles, total toe setting and caster
the return to center is due to the caster angle. by building with a positive caster, the weight of the vehicle pushes the spindles to the lowest point. turning the wheel causes the spindles to rise. when moving, the vehicle weight forces the spindles down to the low point, which occurs when the steering is straight. large differences in cross caster will cause the wheel to sit off centered.
-if the toe is grossly out of spec, the toe scrubbing will work against the caster angle.

Last edited by primem; 10-28-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:36 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had this problem with a Lincoln, ended up being the ball joints. I found it by breaking the linkages loose and moving things by hand.