3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Wiper woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 08:06 AM
smusaf60
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper woes

I traded up from a 1997 Dakota to a 2005. I've always named any vehicle I've purchased, this one I've named Bonkers. Trust me, it fits.
The check engine light came on, the code reader says EGR valve. Bought one, $45, and on the next decent day to change it... the light goes out. The next day it's on again only to go out again. Changed it anyway to keep myself from going bonkers.
Now, when I turn the ignition key to start the truck, the wipers will swipe. once.. twice... up to 5 times. It's different every time. Also, when I actually need them, they work intermittent. not the delay like it's supposed to have, that works intermittently also.
Can't figure it out. Switch??? Motor???
Any ideas?

Old 01-08-2017, 08:34 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be a bad Park Switch Sensor, which is integrated inside the wiper motor itself and isn't serviceable or replaceable on its own.

Basically, the Park Switch Sensor is what senses when the wiper arms "bottom out" at the end of a wipe cycle...and if the sensor and/or its electrical circuit is not functioning properly, the wiper motor and wiper arms will continue to turn (even when they're not supposed to) because the system hasn't yet received the proper signal from the Park Switch Sensor to stop turning.

That said, there's also a Wiper On/Off Relay and Wiper High/Low Relay, both located in the Power Distribution Center under the hood near the battery. A bad On/Off Relay, I suspect, could be a cause of the intermittent functioning...but I'm not sure if it could also cause the continuous, unintended operation as stated above.

If it were me, I'd probably check out and maybe replace the Wiper On/Off Relay as a first step to see if it alleviates one or more of the problems. If that doesn't do it, I'd probably be looking at a new wiper motor, because that's the only way to replace Park Switch Sensor inside it...Of course, it could also simply be a failed circuit between the Park Switch Sensor and the Integrated Power Module...or a bad Integrated Power Module...or a bad Front Control Module...

But don't take my word for it, talk to a trusted mechanic.

Last edited by erau; 01-08-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:57 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by erau
Could be a bad Park Switch Sensor, which is integrated inside the wiper motor itself and isn't serviceable or replaceable on its own.

Basically, the Park Switch Sensor is what senses when the wiper arms "bottom out" at the end of a wipe cycle...and if the sensor and/or its electrical circuit is not functioning properly, the wiper motor and wiper arms will continue to turn (even when they're not supposed to) because the system hasn't yet received the proper signal from the Park Switch Sensor to stop turning.

That said, there's also a Wiper On/Off Relay and Wiper High/Low Relay, both located in the Power Distribution Center under the hood near the battery. A bad On/Off Relay, I suspect, could be a cause of the intermittent functioning...but I'm not sure if it could also cause the continuous, unintended operation as stated above.

If it were me, I'd probably check out and maybe replace the Wiper On/Off Relay as a first step to see if it alleviates one or more of the problems. If that doesn't do it, I'd probably be looking at a new wiper motor, because that's the only way to replace Park Switch Sensor inside it...Of course, it could also simply be a failed circuit between the Park Switch Sensor and the Integrated Power Module...or a bad Integrated Power Module...or a bad Front Control Module...

But don't take my word for it, talk to a trusted mechanic.

Me, I have to disagree. Unless proven otherwise, it is the multi-function switch. It is located right beside the ignition switch, and with everything that goes on in that small space, and with the Multi-Function Switch going bad so easily, I'd put my money there.

I've seen them fry the connector block (in an '05 it's a big block) and the wires leading in to it.

YMMV.