3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Another water leak/wet floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 12:43 PM
gixxerjasen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another water leak/wet floor

Hello,

This was my grandfather's truck that didn't get driven much toward the end of his life. I picked up the 05 Dakota last September with 22K miles on it and love it, except for the water leak which I discovered during the Tropical Storm that was going on when I flew into Florida to pick it up.

I got the truck home to Texas and have been working on this off and on. Thankfully it doesn't rain daily in Texas like it does in Florida. I have been reading through various forums trying to track this down and it doesn't appear to be the usual suspects. The seal around the wiper cowl was crap and I did replace it and that seems to have helped some of it.

However, flooding the windshield/hood area with a garden hose reveals water coming out of this hole right in front of the bottom of the passenger door.

2017-01-31%2011.28.34_zpslxj3cugo.jpg

Here's a closeup of the hole.

2017-01-31%2011.28.28_zps96voe9jk.jpg

Now, his truck was always parked in his carport so it wasn't much of an issue there, but due to the fact that it wasn't used much, I did have to clean out a bunch of mud dauber nests and such that had accumulated. My assumption is there's a drain hole somewhere that's plugged up with who knows what and there's a section of the body that's filling up and flowing up and out that hole.

Simple solution would be to fill the hole but that would be a bandaid and not solving the problem. Also, the water is likely to come out somewhere else or just sit in there which I don't like either. Anybody know what I can check to find out why the water isn't draining from somewhere like it should, or how the water gets in there that I need to fix?

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2017, 02:48 PM
94rtdakota

I've had the same issues in both my 05 and my 08. both times it was the windshield sealant had lost adhesion with the body allowing water in around the windshield and it would migrate down the a pillar and onto the floorboard of the truck. Happenned on both the drivers side and passenger side of the truck.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:50 PM
gixxerjasen

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I suppose just get a windshield company to pull the glass and replace the sealant. Did the replacement hold up for you?